Missing their periods is something every woman dreads when it is not supposed to be that way. And at times it is the women over-stressed about her missed periods that starts the cycle spontaneously or further delays it. This can even be a possible reason for early miscarriages. Missing your periods when you don’t indulge in sexual activities shouldn’t bother you. But once you start getting into such activities then even a day of missed periods seems like a year.
Even in cases when you are not pregnant you may miss your periods due to normal hormonal fluctuation. It is OK if you miss your periods by a day or three or even a week. But as a precautionary measure one should take a pregnancy test after you have missed your periods by a week.
But just opposite to this scenario lies another problem which is getting a negative pregnancy test and not even getting your periods.
This is even a ghastly feeling than the prior where you can get no shore in the sea of uncertainty.
What does late period but negative pregnancy test mean?
There can be several reasons for late periods other than pregnancy. There are several others for a late period but negative pregnancy test result. We will discuss each one of them for you. Any reason for late period other than pregnancy will give a negative pregnancy test.
Reasons for late periods
As a quick reference list, the following are the reasons for late periods:
- Hormonal misbalance
- Sleep deprivation
- Dietary loopholes
- Extensive workout
- Perimenopause – decline of female hormones after the age of 4o to 50
- Thyroid diseases
- Disturbance in biological clock
- Diabetes and celiac diseases
- Birth control pills
These 15 reasons for late period have only one reason for getting a positive pregnancy test. So if you get late period negative pregnancy test it is normal! Only 1/15 cases of late period give positive pregnancy test. Pregnancy is the only reason for late period positive pregnancy test. Rest all will give late period negative pregnancy test.
20 Reasons for late period but negative pregnancy test
- Low levels of hCG hormone produced by placenta: The reason for getting a negative pregnancy test is that hCG levels are still not sufficient enough. This can be because your placenta is taking more than normal time to form. It is the placenta that secrets the hormone hCG. Pregnancy tests detect this hormone. If your body doesn’t produce enough hCG then pregnancy test will not detect it.
- You are using a dilute sample of urine for taking the pregnancy test: In the early stage of pregnancy, your body produces very low levels of hCG. This keeps doubling as your pregnancy progresses. After reaching the peak level the hCG level then starts declining. The hCG hormone comes in your urine. It takes the time to reach a high concentration. Your urine gets concentrated if you don’t excrete even when you feel a full bladder. The water gets reabsorbed and other waste components add. Even hCG gets concentrated. So one needs to take a concentrated urine sample to have enough hCG in it. Otherwise, the hCG will not be detectable.
- Tubal pregnancy can be a reason for late period but negative pregnancy test: If you have a chemical pregnancy then you might get a negative pregnancy test and at the same time, your periods won’t come. A tubal pregnancy is the case when the embryo doesn’t get implanted inside your uterus and instead gets attached to the fallopian tube walls. So this would interfere with both the things namely your periods and your pregnancy.
- Perimenopause is a reason for getting a negative pregnancy test and no periods: Perimenopause is the gradual decline of female hormones in blood after the age of 40s. In females, this is a prominent phenomenon and is early menopause stage. Hence if your female hormone levels are gradually declining then you will not get your period and a negative pregnancy test.
- High levels of stress will cause late period but negative pregnancy test: High levels of stress are an underrated cause of diseases. Stress is a risk factor for almost every disorder. High levels of stress can affect the microbes in your gut and can even make you infertile. Stress will neither let your menstrual cycle be normal nor will it allow you to conceive. So you will get late erratic periods and negative pregnancy test if you have high levels of stress.
- Diseases such as PCOD can cause late period but negative pregnancy test: Diseases of ovary such as ovarian cancer or PCOD (polycystic ovary syndrome) affect the normal functions of ovaries. So due to cysts or benign tumors ovaries won’t be able to ovulate (release eggs) and hence you won’t get your periods. For those of you who don’t know the reason for getting periods, the bleeding is due to sloughing off the vaginal lining. This vaginal lining is for implantation of embryo if the egg and sperm fertilize. In cases of PCOD and other illness, you won’t be able to get pregnant too. Hence when you are suffering PCOD you will get late period and negative pregnancy test.
- During breastfeeding you will get late period but negative pregnancy test: Breastfeeding has a natural contraception phenomenon related to it called Lactational Amenorrhoea. This is the absence of menstrual cycle for few months when a nursing mother is breastfeeding her baby. The lactation hormones suppress the reproductive hormone. It is nature’s way for spacing between offspring. Thus during breastfeeding, you won’t get period and negative pregnancy test.
- Extensive workout and physical activity are also cause of late period but negative pregnancy test: Athletes and other women involved in extensive physical work show a complete absence of menstrual cycle. This is Amenorrhoea absence of periods. If you don’t get periods that means you won’t be able to become pregnant normally. So you will get no periods and negative pregnancy test.
- Weight fluctuations frequently might also lead to late period but negative pregnancy test: Weight has a major role to play when it comes to fertility and menstrual cycle. A woman who has a fluctuating weight pattern will experience erratic periods. She might have difficulty in getting pregnant and sustaining a pregnancy. This will be a cause of getting an early or late period and negative pregnancy test.
- Thyroid diseases are also a reason for getting late period but negative pregnancy test: The thyroid is a gland that is responsible for controlling the basal metabolic rate. It has an influence on the reproductive functioning of the body too. Hence thyroid makes you prone to late periods and negative pregnancy test.
- Urinary tract infections: Urinary tract infections can spread to cause severe vaginitis. If you have vaginitis then your vaginal lining will not develop. The vaginal lining sheds off as periods. If this lining doesn’t form then you will get late period and negative pregnancy test.
- Illness: Any disease that weakens your immune system can delay your period. Diseases as common as flu or cold can also be a reason for late period but negative pregnancy test. Obviously having cold doesn’t give a positive pregnancy test. Typhoid and other illnesses that reduce your weight can cause late period negative pregnancy test.
- Diabetes and celiac diseases: Metabolic diseases alter the sugar level in body. This also affects the hormones production. The brain is not supplied with enough energy. Estrogen is essential for formation of vaginal lining. If the vaginal lining is thin then you will not get period. Diabetes is another reason for late period negative pregnancy test.
- Birth control pills: Birth control pills alter the entire hormone balance in your body. If you take birth control you may get late period. When on birth control who wants a late period positive pregnancy test? When you stop your birth control pills your body takes time to restore the menstrual cycle. Still you’ll get late period negative pregnancy test.
- Disturbance in biological clock: If you are traveling and your sleep patterns turn by 180˚ everything goes haywire. Changes in sleeping pattern cause a disturbance in the entire body. Traveling and changing your day’s routine can cause late period negative pregnancy test.
- Hormone misbalance: Hormone misbalance due to any medications like anti depressants can cause late period negative pregnancy test. These drugs will not directly affect the menstrual cycle. But their presence exerts a negative feedback on other hormones. Similarly after an IVF treatment you may get late period negative pregnancy test. This is because the hCG levels of the fertility drugs first fall and then implantation occurs. Only after that will you get a positive pregnancy test.
- Medications or Drugs and smoking: Any medicines or drugs that are not prescribed by a doctor can also cause late period negative pregnancy test. Smoking is a cause of infertility in women. Taking drugs and other illegal stimulants is reason for late period negative pregnancy test. This will not let you get pregnant. Even if you get pregnant the drugs will damage your pregnancy.
- Dietary changes: Dietary changes leading to obesity or sudden weight loss can cause change in menstrual cycle. Any dietary loop hole is a reason for malnourishment. This is cause of late period negative pregnancy test.
- Mishandling of pregnancy test: If you do not know how to take a pregnancy test you will certainly get a late period negative pregnancy test. In this case it may be that you are pregnant and you have late period false negative pregnancy test. Mishandling of pregnancy tests include reading results after allotted time.
- Using expired or defective pregnancy test: Similarly even if you are pregnant but you take an expired pregnancy test you will be in crisis of late period false negative pregnancy test. Expired and defective home pregnancy test cannot detect hCG hormone. They will give you false negative pregnancy test after late period.
Late period But negative pregnancy test & no symptoms
Late period negative pregnancy test no symptoms means that you are not pregnant. There are many reasons for late period negative pregnancy test no symptoms. After reading all the reasons late period negative pregnancy test one can find out. Late period negative pregnancy test no symptoms is only a sign that you are not pregnant. If you have Late period negative pregnancy test no symptoms but feel extreme pain then consult a doctor.
Late period negative pregnancy test after IVF is because your body needs time to build up hCG. It is nothing to worry about.
Late period But negative pregnancy test with white discharge
Late period negative pregnancy test with white discharge hints that you may be pregnant. The pregnancy may be at a very early stage so you are getting late period false negative pregnancy test. Late period negative pregnancy test with spotting and cramping is also a sign that you can be pregnant. Wait for a week and then take a pregnancy test again.
Negative pregnancy test and missed period doesn’t always mean that you are pregnant. If you have late period negative pregnancy test with no symptoms then certainly you are not pregnant. The reason for late period negative pregnancy test is certainly something else.
Here were the 20 reasons for late period but negative pregnancy test. Pregnancy is not the only reason what a late period could mean. The only thing one must do after not getting period and negative pregnancy test is to get a doctor’s appointment.