A positive pregnancy test result is the happiest thing a woman gets to see when she is trying to get pregnant. On the other hand, for a woman who doesn’t want to conceive, a positive test is bad news.
What is a positive pregnancy test?
A positive pregnancy test is the result of a pregnancy test which appears when a test is positive. A positive test means that the female is positive for pregnancy and that is she is pregnant.
In medical science, the presence of a particular medical condition is Positive, and the absence is Negative.
What happens when a positive pregnancy test appears?
Positive pregnancy test means that a chemical reaction has occurred and the hCG strip has detected hCG hormone in your urine.
This hormone comes typically in your urine in sufficient quantities after implantation.
How does a test tell if you are pregnant or not?
A pregnancy test has hCG antibodies. These are detector particles for hCG present in your urine. A pregnant woman has hCG in her urine exclusively. This is why it becomes easy to detect pregnancy using urine hCG as a marker.
If hCG is present in your urine, then the pregnancy test will be able to detect pregnancy. The time for hCG to come in your urine is the time to wait before getting a positive pregnancy test.
A normal woman takes at least 4 to 5 days after implantation to have enough hCG at the earliest. Implantation is the process of attachment of your baby’s cell to your uterus.
The placenta forms after implantation. The placenta is a temporary endocrine gland in a pregnant woman that forms hCG.
Once there is enough hCG in your urine the pregnancy test will give a positive result.
When should I take the pregnancy test?
A woman on birth control might restart her birth control course after getting a false negative result. The consequences will be damaging to her pregnancy.
However, many pregnancy tests claim to be able to detect pregnancy six days before missed period. In that case, you can take the pregnancy test after implantation.
You must use an early morning urine sample to take a pregnancy test. You should take a pregnancy test in the morning. This ensures that your urine hCG level is enough for detection of pregnancy by the home pregnancy test
Urine hCG positive after implantation
Urine hCG positive after implantation occurs after about five days. It is the time required for placenta formation and the onset of hCG synthesis. A placenta is a tissue that helps in exchange of food, fluids, and waste between you and your baby.
Urine hCG positive after implantation is after crossing threshold of 25 mIU/mL. An hCG concentration less than that is not considered pregnant
How early can I take a pregnancy test?
The earliest you can take a pregnancy test is after implantation. This occurs about a week after conception. Conception occurs within a day of having sex. If you have sex in the fertile window period, then the chances are that you’ll conceive on the day or next.
What are the various ways of showing a positive pregnancy test?
- A positive pregnancy test: A positive pregnancy test means that you are pregnant and the test line will appear in this case.
- A false positive pregnancy test: A false positive pregnancy test means that you are not pregnant and still the test shows that you are pregnant. It may be due to many reasons like ovarian cancer.
- A big fat positive pregnancy test: A big fat positive pregnancy test result is when you get a clear positive pregnancy test line. Some cheap pregnancy tests have the problem of getting the big fat positive pregnancy test spread in the entire result window.
- Thin positive pregnancy test: Thin positive pregnancy test is the opposite of a big fat positive pregnancy test. It may be because you took the pregnancy test too early. The urine hCG level must not have been sufficient, and thus you got a thin positive pregnancy test.
- Very thin line positive pregnancy test: A very thin line positive pregnancy test is the case when you take the pregnancy test immediately after implantation. The hCG levels are not detectable and even if the pregnancy test is very sensitive. Pregnancy test showing a very thin line pregnancy test shows that your pregnancy is at an early stage.
- Faint positive pregnancy test: Faint positive pregnancy test is the next in line. You will get a faint positive pregnancy test if you take the pregnancy test on the day of the missed period.
- Very faint positive pregnancy test: A very faint positive pregnancy test is when you take a pregnancy test before your date of the period.
How early can you get a positive pregnancy test?
It is minimum time you have to wait for after each incident for taking the pregnancy test to get a positive result.
- You can get a positive pregnancy test 10 days from the day of fertilization.
- You can get a positive pregnancy test 11 days after ovulation.
- You can get a positive pregnancy test 12 days after having sex.
- You can get a positive pregnancy test 6 – 7 days after implantation.
- You can get a positive pregnancy test 3 – 5 days before missed periods.
How long to get a positive pregnancy test?
- Time of conception: How long to get a positive pregnancy test depends on the time of conception. You can calculate the time for getting a positive pregnancy test after conception by adding 11 days to the date of conception.
- Pace of hCG production: If your body is producing hCG very slowly then you will take longer to get a positive pregnancy test. Comparatively a woman with a more rapid hCG production will be able to get a positive pregnancy test soon.
- Pregnancy test sensitivity: If your pregnancy test is sensitive to a lower level of hCG then you’ll get a positive pregnancy test sooner. A pregnancy test with a sensitivity of 25 mIU/mL is better than that with 50 mIU/mL hCG level sensitivity.
- Time of implantation: You can also find out how long to get positive pregnancy test by figuring out time out implantation. Implantation is the first step towards getting a positive pregnancy test.
- Ovulation date: If you know your ovulation date then you can find out how long to get a positive pregnancy test easily. Use any ovulation calculator to find out your ovulation date. You would take around 12- 14 days from ovulation date to get a positive pregnancy test if you conceived.
- Urine hCG level: If you use a concentrated sample of urine then you will get a positive pregnancy test easily. Otherwise, if you keep using any random urine sample in the day, then you will not get a positive pregnancy test until a few months.
Can you get a positive pregnancy test at three weeks?
Indeed this is the most obvious date for getting a positive pregnancy test. The sure shot day for getting a positive result is only after a week from implantation. And after three weeks every woman has enough hCG.
After three weeks if you are pregnant, there is hardly any normal thing that could happen to prevent getting a positive pregnancy test. Positive pregnancy at three weeks is the most assured pregnancy test result.
Pregnancy tests detect hCG levels above 25 mIU/mL. This hCG level is attainable within one week from implantation. Implantation itself occurs after one week from conception. So roughly on the safe side, three weeks positive pregnancy test is more probable.
Hence it is very much probable that you will get a positive pregnancy test result after one to three weeks from implantation.
Please note that three weeks here are concerning your pregnancy. This means three weeks after conceiving and not any random three weeks.
Spotting and positive pregnancy test
Some women might confuse that spotting indicates that they can’t get a positive pregnancy test. Spotting during pregnancy is common throughout all three trimesters. If you get a positive pregnancy test, then this spotting cannot be implantation bleeding.
Spotting during pregnancy with cramps and pains needs medical attention. However, pregnancy spotting and brown discharge is nothing to worry.
What to do after getting a positive pregnancy test?
After getting a positive pregnancy test, one needs to go to the doctor and get herself tested for pregnancy.
Followed by this are the follow-up visits as scheduled by your doctor. Once you have conceived, you have to be very cautious in the first few months and take a lot of care about what you eat and change your lifestyle.
We highly recommend you to read this great article on what to do after getting a positive pregnancy test.