Implantation is less understood topic about pregnancy. Women who are trying to get pregnant must know about implantation facts more than anything else. Implantation top facts for every woman are actually trivia that will help you understand early pregnancy. Most women fail to recognize implantation bleeding from period.
Facts about implantation cramps can help them differentiate the two. Implantation is the most crucial and critical early pregnancy event. If this goes wrong there is very minimal or almost no chance that you will have a normal pregnancy. Implantation bleeding is often confused with menses but there are many differences between them.
Top 25 Implantation Facts you wish you knew earlier
Despite being such an important event, implantation is very rapid. Before implantation a woman is only chemically pregnant. There is an early pregnancy factor in a pregnant woman’s blood serum after fertilization. However, all other hormones are still not enough. Only after successful implantation the pregnancy hormones start surging. It happens under the influence of hCG hormone that starts forming after implantation. This is why you cannot take a home pregnancy test before implantation. Until the hormone hCG is present in your urine, the test will give false negative pregnancy test.
Implantation is not painful and is for the attachment of egg to the wall of the womb. Egg embedment is essential for meeting the needs of nutrition, excretion and oxygen supply to the developing embryo. Implantation is a regulated process and never happens randomly. Unlike fertilization there is no probability of one out of many sperms fertilizing the egg. The egg has to implant at a particular site and no other than that can suffice.
Implantation occurs before period due date. Pregnancy tests that claim to detect pregnancy before period are able to because implantation occurs before it. After ovulation, conception occurs within 24 hour and about 7-12 days later implantation happens. Implantation bleeding cannot be after period.
- Implantation leads to pregnancy contrary to the belief that sex leads to pregnancy: If sex led to pregnancy for sure then after every unprotected sex you’d get a positive pregnancy test. Implantation leads to pregnancy. Even a fertilized egg can go out as very early miscarriage camouflaged as period. Most women will never come to know about it. After implantation and acceptance of blastocyst by the mother’s body chances of survival increase. The mother’s body in earlier stages recognizes the zygote as foreign body. This is the reason why it is able to produce Rh negative antibodies if there is blood group mismatch. What can you do after implantation? You must get a blood group test and a pregnancy blood test. Avoid any kind of stress. Cut down caffeine intake and quit smoking and alcohol.
- Implantation is a rapid process and takes only 48 hours: As mentioned earlier implantation is a very rapid process. It is only a 64 celled stage that has to sink in the layers of uterus. The reason why implantation bleeding and cramps go unnoticed is because of its pace. The first stage of implantation takes about 12 hours for the blastocyst to move in the upper layer of uterus. Later on the blastocyst moves further inside and extends villi for obtaining nutrients.
- Implantation is a two staged process: Implantation despite being a single term is actually a two staged process. In the first stage the fertilized dividing egg guided by the Zona Pellucida reaches the uterus. The trophoblast fibers are like small needless in the wall of the blastocyst. These fibers prick the endometrial lining and cause secretions to exude. This allows the 64 celled structure to move inside the layer of uterus. After this the lining glands secrete factors that permit the embryo to move forward. Once it reaches the inner layer it extends many finger like protections around. These are the villi that will help embryo obtain food and water from mother’s body.
- Implantation at a wrong site can never allow a normal pregnancy to follow: Implantation is specific and needs to be at a particular site. If implantation occurs in fallopian tubes then it can lead to bursting of them. Implantation needs to be at the right place and only then pregnancy follows a normal path. Any fault in implantation creates a series of defects in pregnancy.
- Implantation is the first step of placenta formation: After implantation the amnion and chorion start forming the placenta. The placenta starts producing hCG. This hormone further controls the other hormones.
- The stage at which implantation occurs is blastocyst with only 64 cells: The reason why implantation bleeding is not heavy is because only a 64 celled structure implants in the walls. It can only cause scanty spotting and nothing more. The fertilized egg travels down the tubes while dividing. When it is of 64 smaller units it implants in the wall.
- The egg membrane ‘Zona Pellucida’ persists until successful implantation: The egg membrane that exists from the pre fertilization stage doesn’t shed off until implantation. It has fibers that pierce in the uterine lining. Zona Pellucida has a layer of structures that prevent entry of sperms. Sperm dissolves this layer and fertilizes the egg. Later the layer guides the egg to the site of implantation.
- Super early pregnancy test by EPF (early pregnancy factor) can detect pregnancy before implantation: After fertilization a factor releases in the blood of women called early pregnancy factor. This can detect pregnancy but has only 88.8% accuracy. The pre implantation events lead to pregnancy loss. The false positive pregnancy test by this method being very high make beta hCG a better choice. Otherwise it is possible to detect pregnancy within 48 hours after sex. Pregnancy detecting by super early pregnancy test can be before implantation.
- Implantation bleeding is a misnomer and it only results in spotting: Implantation is of a small bunch of cells. They only cause is slight rubbing and compressing of the blood vessels. Implantation bleeding never actually occurs. It mostly goes off as spotting or vaginal discharge with blood. Women don’t even need a liner for implantation spotting.
- Most women are not able to feel implantation: Implantation is so mild that most women never come to know about it. Only after symptoms of implantation turn into early pregnancy signs, women take a pregnancy test. This is the first time they come to know about their pregnancy. Implantation despite being so crucial does not lead to any major symptoms.
- Implantation inside the tubes leads to fatal condition called tubal pregnancy: If the woman has any anatomical problems like tube blockages or scars then Implantation occurs inside the tubes. There are unbearable cramps and heavy bleeding. Soon the tubal pregnancy ends as miscarriage. Implantation at any place other than uterus leads to a non viable pregnancy.
- The steps before implantation can take 7-12 days: Implantation itself takes only few hours. But the sperm can be in vagina for around 5 days. They travel through the vagina and up to the ampullary isthmus junction. There fertilization of egg and sperm occurs. The reason why implantation occurs between 7-12 days after conception is because of the time taken for pre-implantation events. The first division after fertilization takes around two days.
- Implantation cramps are mild and never cause unbearable pain: PMS cramps are something women embrace as a monthly ritual. Implantation cramps though critical for onset of pregnancy don’t cause any pain. The reason why most women never come to know when they had implantation is because the cramps are mild.
- Implantation defects can cause reduction in fertility for future pregnancies: In case of an ectopic pregnancy reaching its later stage surgery is essential. At an earlier stage tubal pregnancy can be cured by using methotrexate. Surgery at later stage can require removal of tube and the ovary. This will reduce the number of eggs available. Naturally it will affect the fertility of the woman.
- Stress and anxiety can affect implantation process: During implantation a lot of factors release in the body. If a woman is under stress her suppressed immune system will not be able to fight any illness. Further it will lead to her catching some infection. All this will be taxing for the body and lead to implantation failure. During implantation you need to relax and stay healthy.
- Most early miscarriages are because of implantation failures: Many women have a primitive miscarriage in their lifetime. They take it as late period but it actually is an early pregnancy miscarriage. A miscarriage is a heavy bleeding that lasts for about 10 days. Chromosomal abnormalities and implantation failure are main reasons for early miscarriages. In fact chromosomal defects causes the mothers body to reject the newly implanted egg.
- A home pregnancy test is most accurate after implantation signs are visible: Only after implantation the production of hCG picks up. The pregnancy hormone doubles every 48 – 72 hours and rises in concentration. After implantation signs are evident pregnancy test accuracy is more reliable. It is best to wait for a week after implantation to take a pregnancy test. This will reduce the chances of getting a false negative pregnancy test. Early pregnancy tests make it possible to take a pregnancy test after implantation. As implantation occurs before period, pregnancy test can be taken before period.
- Any scars from previous surgery or C section can affect implantation: Scars, fibroids and polyps can affect implantation. They block the natural pathway of egg. This prevents correct implantation. This is why natural delivery is best for your fertility.
- Symptoms after implantation are early signs of pregnancy: The after symptoms of implantation are nothing but early pregnancy signs. After implantation your basal body temperature goes up which is a sign of pregnancy. This must happen after implantation dip of BBT. Most women perceive implantation signs as PMS. There are slight differences between the two. Read more: Symptoms after implantation signs of pregnancy
- Implantation bleeding can be orange, brown, dark red and even pink: Depending upon the state of cervical mucus the color of implantation bleeding varies. If the bleeding is bright red it is a sign that there are active bleeding regions in uterus. Brown implantation bleeding is a sign that the blood is old. Orange implantation spotting is due to cervical infections. Read more: Normal and abnormal implantation bleeding color
- Implantation mostly occurs on the back wall of uterus: The back of uterus wall is thick and has more blood vessels. Implantation mostly occurs in the rare wall of uterus. This is for better support and nourishment of the embryo.
- During implantation mother’s immunity reduces: The blastocyst before implantation releases many factors that reduce the immunity of mother. This makes her more prone to diseases. The endometrial lining becomes more richly supplied with blood vessels. The rising progesterone causes dilation of uterus to accept the zygote.
- Late embedment can delay pregnant detection by one month: If a woman has a late implantation near her period she might not miss period. She will come to know about her pregnancy from missed period after one month.
- Egg embedment lasts from 1st week until 20th week: Egg embedment starts in the 1st week but continues until the 20th week. After 20th week the placenta alone supports the fetus. This is why implantation is the most important step of pregnancy.
- Gynecologists count implantation as 3 weeks of pregnancy: Women tend to take pregnancy test after missed period. She might count her pregnancy from the day of missed period. But even if chemically pregnancy occurred after fertilization. Thus gynecologist times your pregnancy adding three weeks to it.
This is why pregnancy tests will weeks calculator tell you less gestational age. Read more: Clearblue Advanced pregnancy test
Implantation facts are for every woman to know. They not only help you while pregnancy but also when you are dealing with problems like infertility.