Most of you who have ever taken a pregnancy test and forgot to throw it away must have seen a faint, colorless line in the result window. Evaporation lines are the most frequently talked about thing related to a pregnancy test. The reason is that these lines corrupt the pregnancy test results and cause confusion. They are a nuisance and might give you sleepless nights. Most of the false positive pregnancy test results are due to evaporation line on a pregnancy test.
So here is everything discussed in detail about an evaporation line in a pregnancy test
Table of Contents
- What is an evaporation line on a pregnancy test?
- What does an evaporation line look like?
- What is the difference between evaporation line and positive pregnancy test?
- How is evaporation line different from indent line?
- Why does evaporation lines appear in a pregnancy test?
- How to avoid getting evaporation lines?
- How common are evaporation lines in a pregnancy test?
- What is the consequence of getting an evaporation line?
What is an evaporation line on a pregnancy test?
An evaporation line on a pregnancy test is the mark left by urine after it completely evaporates from the hCG strip.
A pregnancy test has to be read before the urine dries up.
What does an evaporation line look like?
An evaporation line (also known as evap line) looks like a vertically aligned colorless mark . If it appears very close to the result line it may be even getting a color.
If a woman eats any item with food color that colored her urine before taking the pregnancy test then the evaporation line will be colored. So if anyone of you wanted to know that can evaporation line be colored? The answer is yes. Fruits like carrots, beetroots, plums, rhubarb, saffron, artificial food colors etc. color your urine. Some diseases like Ketouresis color the urine black. So in these cases, the evaporation lines will be colored.
What is the difference between evaporation line and positive pregnancy test?
Evaporation line (evap line on ept) giving positive pregnancy test is a human mistake or a consequence physiological disorder.
The difference between an evaporation line and a positive pregnancy test is:
- Evaporation line is colorless while positive pregnancy test is colored.
- Evap line on ept comes after result reading time has passed.
- Evaporation lines show up in most cases while positive pregnancy test result will come only if you are pregnant.
- Evaporation line is a pregnancy test error.
How is evaporation line different from indent line?
- Indent line is the line of hCG detector particles attached to the pregnancy test’s hCG strip .
- Indent lines generally show up if they are intentionally demarcated or when the pregnancy test expires.
- An unused pregnancy test may have an indent line but it can never have an evaporation line.
Why does evaporation lines appear in a pregnancy test?
- Evaporation line does not appear in a quality pregnancy test.
- However, if evaporation lines appear at a later stage while taking a pregnancy test, that is because urine naturally has a pale yellow color.
- So once the result reading time is up the urine gets dried and shows an evaporation line.
In fact, the result reading time of a pregnancy test is dependent on two things:
- Pregnancy test takes time to estimate hCG hormone level in urine and giving the colored lines.
- Time for which the urine stays inside the hCG strip of the pregnancy test and doesn’t evaporate completely.
How to avoid getting evaporation lines?
It is very simple to avoid evaporation lines and the problems due to evaporation lines. Simply keep these things in mind and follow them:
- Follow the instructions for the particular pregnancy test carefully.
- Read the results within pregnancy test’s result reading time.
- Be vigilant of other symptoms of early pregnancy rather than simply relying on pregnancy test lines.
- Choose your pregnancy test wisely. Search for the best pregnancy tests and then get the one which has no such problems with it.
How common are evaporation lines in a pregnancy test?
- Brand or Quality of Pregnancy Test: A good quality pregnancy test will have least incidents of occurrence of evaporation lines. However, a low-grade pregnancy test will have evaporation lines appearing frequently.
- The timing of Pregnancy Test: If you do not time your pregnancy test accurately then evaporation lines will be common. Taking a pregnancy test too early gives you a false negative result and hoping for a positive you actually land up with an evaporation line.
- Handling of Pregnancy Test: Evaporation lines are all an outcome of delaying the reading of pregnancy test results. Every pregnancy test has a specific result reading time slot. Once you cross this time and evaporation lines will crop up in the result window for sure.
What is the consequence of getting an evaporation line?
- The consequences of getting an evaporation line are significant when they make you read a false positive pregnancy test.
- Even in cases where you see a faint positive result and disregard it as an evaporation line, you’ll be in neck deep trouble.
- Evaporation lines bring in mental stress and anxiety.
Evaporation lines, big fat positive pregnancy test results, false positive, false negative, faint positive pregnancy test results etc. are the biggest problems of home pregnancy tests. This is the reason why we always tell our readers to not rely on home pregnancy tests completely and at least duplicate the home pregnancy test for assurance.