Some of us only know about home pregnancy tests as the hCG strips or stick pregnancy tests and haven’t ever heard of a homemade pregnancy test.
Egyptian and Greek philosophers discovered the first homemade pregnancy tests. They are also called natural pregnancy test or ‘Do It Yourself – DIY homemade pregnancy test.’
It was only after 1968 when Margaret Crane discovered hCG strips that homemade pregnancy test became obsolete.
Homemade pregnancy tests are helpful just in case you have to take a pregnancy test at odd times. And the need for a homemade pregnancy test can happen to anyone on this earth.
So you need to have an idea of all the homemade pregnancy tests one can use for taking a quick pregnancy test.
What is a homemade pregnancy test?
A homemade pregnancy test is a do it yourself pregnancy test (DIY pregnancy test) which you prepare, use and read it. Homemade pregnancy test uses any household stuff which can detect pregnancy.
Ancient Egyptians used bizarre urine homemade tests 1 such as rusting of nail when dipped in pregnant women’s pee.
Well they’re bizarre to us! For the people of that age they were the only way to know they’re carrying a baby. No elaborate tests, ultrasound and all that you have.
Unlike home pregnancy test kits you don’t have to reveal it to the retailer and can easily take a natural pregnancy test.
There are many things women use to perform a pregnancy test from the time of our grannies.
Reasons for taking a homemade pregnancy test
- A woman might not want to reveal the news to anyone before getting a little assurance for herself. In such a case homemade pregnancy test is a pro for you.
- In cases where the woman is not supposed to be pregnant, buying a pregnancy test can be embarrassing. A homemade pregnancy test will keep your status undercover.
- If the pregnancy testing lab is far from your house and even a chemist shop isn’t nearby. You might not want to wait until you get the time from your busy schedule. A homemade pregnancy test can be helpful is such a situation.
- If you cannot afford pregnancy test. A homemade pregnancy test is virtually a free pregnancy test.
- When you cannot hold your excitement then again a homemade pregnancy test is to your rescue!!
What can things be used as a homemade pregnancy test?
There are many things such as salt, sugar, soap, Dandelion leaves, bleach, etc. which make a pregnancy test.
When can I take a homemade pregnancy test?
One should take a homemade pregnancy test after she sees the symptoms of early pregnancy in her.
A homemade pregnancy test is most accurate after you have missed your periods.
For scheduling your pregnancy test at the right time, you can read ‘How soon after sex can I take the pregnancy test?’ and ‘When to take a pregnancy test?’
Top 23 homemade pregnancy tests
Now we will give you a detailed description of each of the top 23 homemade pregnancy tests:
1) Dandelion Pregnancy Test
Dandelion grows easily in your home garden, and they can detect pregnancy hormone in your urine.
How to take the Dandelion Pregnancy Test?
- Take some fresh Dandelion leaves.
- Clean them with distilled water.
- Then place them in a clean transparent container.
- Either pee in this container or collect your early morning urine and pour it in.
- Wait for around 3 – 5 minutes. Do not leave it unattended.
How to interpret Dandelion Pregnancy test?
If the leaves get some small red patches, then you are pregnant. If there is no change, then you are not pregnant.
2) Pine Sol Pregnancy Test
Pine Sol is something we all have at our house.
How to take the Pine Sol Pregnancy Test?
- Take the standard Pine Sol of golden brown color and not the scented variety.
- In a cup add this Pine Sol to about 1/3 volume.
- Take your early morning urine sample and add it gradually. The amount of urine required will depend on how far your pregnancy has proceeded as hCG levels increase as days pass after you’ve conceived.
How to interpret Pine Sol Pregnancy test?
If the Pine-Sol from the golden brown shade turns to some bluish green, then you are pregnant. If the Pine Sol doesn’t change the color, then you are not pregnant.
3) Vinegar Pregnancy Test
Vinegar is the essential ingredient of Chinese cuisine. Chemically vinegar is a diluted acid. This acid can detect hCG in your urine and tell you whether you are pregnant.
How to take the Vinegar Pregnancy Test?
- In a clean container collect your early morning urine sample.
- In another glass bowl add plain white vinegar.
- Pour your urine sample into the vinegar and observe the changes.
How to interpret Vinegar Pregnancy test?
A color change indicates you are pregnant. If there is no observable change, then you are not pregnant. Tip for vinegar pregnancy test: Never pour the urine rapidly to froth the mix. And if you see any frothing don’t take it as a positive pregnancy test.
4) Mustard powder Pregnancy Test
Mustard powder has many medicinal uses. One of them is for regulating the menstrual cycle.
How to take the Mustard powder pregnancy test?
This test is slightly different and takes longer. You will have to wait for another 24 hours for getting your results.
- In lukewarm water in a bathtub add mustard powder.
- Add about 1/2 – 3/4 spoon full of mustard powder.
- Then soak yourself in this water for some time. Wait for a day.
How to interpret Mustard powder Pregnancy test?
If you get your normal periods, then all the early pregnancy symptoms were in fact PMS. If you don’t get your periods, then you might be pregnant.
5) Bleach Pregnancy Test
Bleach is used for so many things such as cleaning clothes and even your loo. But Bleach is a chemical compound that can detect hCG. You have to remember that the fumes from a Bleach and urine reaction are poisonous.
How to take the Bleach Pregnancy Test?
- Take liquid Bleach or Bleach powder in a cup and collect your urine in it.
- Take your early morning urine.
How to interpret Bleach Pregnancy test?
If there is a lot of frothing and fizz, then you are pregnant. If there is no significant frothing and it all gets settled, then it shows that you are not pregnant.
6) Tuna oil and vinegar Pregnancy Test
This is a slight variation of vinegar pregnancy test. The Tuna oil and vinegar pregnancy test is the only homemade pregnancy test which has a color change for a negative pregnancy test.
How to take the Tuna oil and vinegar Pregnancy Test?
Take Tuna Oil and Vinegar in the ratio 1:1. Add an equal amount of urine to this mix. Observe the color changes.
How to interpret Tuna oil and vinegar Pregnancy test?
If the mix turns orange, then you are not pregnant. If the color changes to green or bluish then you are pregnant.
7) Urine homemade Pregnancy Test
Urine itself tells a lot about the pregnancy. The composition of urine changes once you have conceived a baby.
How to take the home urine Pregnancy Test?
- Collect your early morning urine in a clean cup.
- Allow it to stand for around 10 minutes.
How to interpret home urine Pregnancy test?
If you see a layer of something on the top of urine, then you are pregnant. If you don’t see any such separation, then you are not pregnant. This is a historical method of testing pregnancy.
8) Toothpaste Pregnancy Test
Toothpaste can be found in every bathroom, and there is no chance that you run out of it.
How to take the Toothpaste Pregnancy Test?
- The Toothpaste Pregnancy Test is simple to do. Just take a small pea-sized amount of Toothpaste in a bowl.
- Spread it uniformly all over the surface of the bowl.
- Now pour the urine sample in this toothpaste coated bowl.
How to interpret Toothpaste Pregnancy test?
A color change indicates pregnancy.
Tip for Toothpaste Pregnancy Test: Use a white toothpaste for taking the pregnancy test as color changes will be easier to distinguish.
9) Sugar homemade Pregnancy Test
Sugar pregnancy test is different from Glucose Pregnancy Test. This pregnancy test is based on the change of solubility of sugar in urine.
How to take the Sugar Pregnancy Test?
- Take sugar crystals and not powdered sugar.
- Collect your early morning urine sample.
- Pour the urine into the bowl having sugar.
How to interpret Sugar Pregnancy test?
If sugar forms clumps then your pregnancy test is positive. If the sugar dissolves, then a pregnancy test is negative.
10) Shampoo Home Pregnancy Test
The shampoo has detergents that can react with your urine contents. This test is a variation of the dishwasher pregnancy test. You can even use soap homemade pregnancy tests.
How to take the Shampoo Pregnancy Test?
- Take a small amount of shampoo in a bowl.
- Pour your early morning urine in this bowl.
- Wait for around 7 minutes.
How to interpret Shampoo Pregnancy test?
If there is a change in color and look of the mixture, then you are pregnant. No change means you’re not pregnant.
11) Red Cabbage Pregnancy Test
It is a famous old wives tale that Red Cabbage Pregnancy test can tell the gender of the baby. It is a homemade pregnancy plus a baby gender test.
How to take the Red Cabbage Pregnancy Test?
- Take a red cabbage and chop it.
- Boil it in water.
- Take the broth of the red cabbage.
- Collect your morning urine.
- Add urine to the broth and observe.
How to interpret Red cabbage Pregnancy test?
If the solution turns pink or purple, then you are expecting (pregnant). If the color remains unchanged, then you are not pregnant.
12) Salt Home Pregnancy Test
Salt is crystalline and hence is a pure chemical. It can detect hCG in your urine and test whether you are pregnant.
How to take the Salt Pregnancy Test?
- Take salt crystals in a bowl.
- Pour your early morning urine in this bowl.
- Carefully observe the changes.
- Wait for 3 minutes before making the conclusions.
How to interpret Salt Pregnancy test?
If there is clumping and changes happening, then you are pregnant. No change means that the homemade pregnancy test is negative.
13) Baking Soda Pregnancy Test
All baking lover readers know how crucial baking soda is for cooking. But do you know that the Baking Soda is an ingredient for homemade pregnancy tests also?
How to take the Baking Soda Pregnancy Test?
- Take a ½ spoon full of baking soda.
- Collect you early morning urine in a disposable cup.
- Add baking soda to it.
- This is a mild homemade test that doesn’t yield poisonous fumes like the bleach pregnancy test.
How to interpret Baking Soda Pregnancy test?
If there is frothing, then you are pregnant. If there is not much frothing, then your pregnancy test is negative.
14) Tylenol and Peroxide Pregnancy Test
We all have these two chemicals for cleaning and other purposes. They can even test pregnancy.
How to take the Tylenol and peroxide Pregnancy Test?
- Take peroxide
- Add few tablets of Tylenol to it.
- Pour your early morning urine after the tablets get dissolved.
How to interpret a Tylenol and peroxide Pregnancy test?
If there is an observable change in color and frothing, then you are pregnant. In the other case where nothing changes you are not pregnant.
15) Wine Pregnancy Test
The alcoholic beverage ‘wine’ has a composition that can test pregnancy. The wine homemade pregnancy test was the regular pregnancy test in olden days.
How to take the Wine Pregnancy Test?
- Take your early morning urine and mix it with wine.
- Wait for five minutes and observe the changes that occur.
How to interpret Wine Pregnancy test?
If there is a change in color, then you are pregnant. If there is no such change, then there are slim chances that you might be pregnant.
16) Dettol Pregnancy Test
Dettol is the antiseptic solution we all use for any minor cuts and abrasions. Who knew that it could test pregnancy?
How to take the Dettol Pregnancy Test?
- Pour Dettol in a plastic cup and add your early morning urine sample to this.
- Keep the ratio 1:3 for Dettol is to urine.
- Wait for around 5 minutes.
- Carefully observe the changes that have occurred.
How to interpret a Dettol Pregnancy test?
If you get a separate layer of urine on the top of Dettol, then you are pregnant. If the separation of urine and Dettol doesn’t happen, then it is a negative pregnancy test result.
17) Latch Pregnancy Test
The latch pregnancy test is a long homemade pregnancy test, but it has reasonable accuracy. It is an ancient physician’s homemade pregnancy test.
How to take the Latch Pregnancy Test?
- Put the latch on in a basin.
- Pee in the basin.
- Let the urine stand in it and later remove the latch.
How to interpret Latch Pregnancy test?
If you see a mark formed around the point of the latch, then you are pregnant. If there is no such mark, then chances are less favorable for your pregnancy at the present moment.
18) Wheat and Barley Home Pregnancy Test
The Distaff Gospels have talked about the homemade pregnancy test using wheat and barley grains. There was a 70% increment in their growth when supplemented with a pregnant woman’s urine.
How to take the wheat and barley Pregnancy Test?
- Take a bowl filled with a mix of wheat and barley grains.
- Pee in this bowl and allow it to stand for 2 – 3 days.
How to interpret the wheat and barley Pregnancy test?
If the seeds germinate, then you may be expecting.
19) Chlorine Homemade Pregnancy Test
Chlorine is the powder or liquid additive we use for cleaning our swimming pools. The same chlorine tests pregnancy.
How to take the chlorine Pregnancy Test?
- Taking the chlorine pregnancy test is very simple.
- Simply collect your ere is a change in color and frothing in the morning urine sample and add chlorine to it.
- If you have a cup filled with urine, then add about 1/2 – 3/4 spoon full of chlorine.
How to interpret the chlorine Pregnancy test?
If there is a change in color and frothing, then you may be having the bun in your oven. If there is no change, then you are not pregnant for now.
20) Boiling Urine Pregnancy Test
Boiling urine pregnancy test is a little messy homemade pregnancy test. However, those women who love experimenting can even try this one.
How to take the boiling urine Pregnancy Test?
- Collect your early morning urine sample.
- Get an old pan that has not lost its coating.
- Heat the pan and gradually fill it with your urine.
- Make sure you don’t splatter urine.
- Let the urine boil.
- Observe the changes.
How to interpret boiling urine Pregnancy test?
If the urine boils with froth like milk and other translucent fluids, then you are pregnant. If the urine doesn’t show any milky froth, then you are not pregnant.
21) Onion Pregnancy Test
The food ingredient that makes you cry can even give you your tears of joy. Ancient Egyptian and Greek used onions for testing pregnancy.
How to take the Onion Pregnancy Test?
The steps for taking the onion pregnancy test remain the same as recommended by the Egyptian physicians.
- One has to insert a piece of onion in her vagina and sleep with it overnight.
- A tip for onion pregnancy test is that you can even use other pungent smelling stuff other than onions.
How to interpret the Onion Pregnancy test?
If your mouth smells of onion the next morning, then you are not likely to be expecting. However, if you don’t have the onion breath, then there is a probability that you are pregnant.
22) Soap Water Homemade Pregnancy Test
Soap water is readily available compared to bleach or other detergents. This pregnancy test reacts within a few minutes and doesn’t need preparation.
How to take the soap water Pregnancy Test?
- Simply collect your morning urine sample.
- Take soap and foam it and create a bubble solution.
- Add a ¼ volume of soap solution to a ¾ volume of your urine sample.
How to interpret soap Pregnancy test?
If there is a change in color to greenish, then you may be pregnant. If there is no change, then you are not pregnant.
23) Dishwasher Homemade Pregnancy Test
Dishwasher homemade pregnancy test is a variation of the above pregnancy test.
How to take the Dishwasher Pregnancy Test?
- Collect your morning urine sample.
- Take dishwasher solution and add in a cup of water and foam it.
- Then to a small amount of dishwasher add morning urine.
How to interpret the dishwasher Pregnancy test?
If there is a change in color and look, then you are pregnant. If there is no change, then you might not have conceived.
How accurate are homemade pregnancy tests?
A homemade pregnancy test is only as accurate as a hit and trial method. There is no proper standard percentile for the accuracy of any homemade pregnancy test.
However, as a general opinion, a homemade pregnancy test is reasonably accurate as a preliminary pregnancy test.
How can I make a homemade pregnancy test accurate?
You can make a homemade pregnancy test by taking the particular ingredients in a clean container and adding urine to it.
Mostly homemade pregnancy tests involve mixing of urine in substances that are easily available at home. Change of color or texture of urine is the basis for reading homemade pregnancy tests.
How sensitive are DIY pregnancy test?
A homemade pregnancy test is sensitive for decent hCG levels. This hCG level shoots after you see all symptoms of early pregnancy in you.
Homemade pregnancy test’s sensitivity is greatly affected by your handling of the ingredients.
What are the other signs of pregnancy?
Some of you might want to know how you can come to know that you are pregnant without taking a test. That is the rough and ready method for detecting a pregnancy – looking for the early symptoms of pregnancy.
Symptoms of early pregnancy are:
- Missing your periods
- Vomiting, nausea, and headache
- Cramps and implantation bleeding
- Mood swings and irritability
- Breast tenderness
- Dilating of vagina and cervix
- Frequent urge to pee
- Increased and fluctuating appetite
- Feeling lethargic all the time
- Morning sickness
Advantages of homemade pregnancy test
- Homemade pregnancy tests are free.
- Home made pregnancy tests keep your pregnancy secret.
- DIY pregnancy tests are easy and cheap to duplicate.
- You have the benefit of choice as you can always take a second opinion after taking a homemade pregnancy test.
- Those of you who believe in naturopathy might prefer a homemade pregnancy test.
Disadvantages of homemade pregnancy test
- Not as accurate as latest commercial pregnancy test kits.
- Cannot detect special medical conditions like chemical pregnancy.
How does a homemade pregnancy test work?
- A homemade pregnancy test can detect hCG in your urine.
- This hormone starts coming into your urine once your placenta forms. The placenta is the tissue that nourishes a developing baby.
- The ingredients used for making a homemade pregnancy test can react with hCG hormone.
- The homemade pregnancy tests react with hCG and show a change in color or texture or frothing.
What to do after taking a homemade pregnancy test?
- After taking a homemade pregnancy test, you should first repeat the same test next morning.
- If you get your desired results, then see your doctor otherwise take another kind of homemade pregnancy test.
- Try to get a pregnancy test kit and take a home pregnancy test.
- After that, you should get a doctor’s appointment and get a proper medical examination.
Tips for taking a homemade pregnancy test
- Always use a sufficient amount of urine while taking a homemade pregnancy test.
- Be extremely vigilant of slight color changes while taking a homemade pregnancy test.
- Place the container on a white sheet or a white cloth while taking a homemade pregnancy test.
- See the color change in a homemade pregnancy test from every angle.
- Always use a transparent container for taking a homemade pregnancy test.
- Take a homemade pregnancy test following every instruction carefully. Do not take usual frothing and frizz as a positive pregnancy test.
- Always get your homemade pregnancy test duplicated.
- Never rely on a single kind of homemade pregnancy test and take different types of a homemade pregnancy test.
- Use morning urine sample and wait for at least 5 – 10 minutes before jumping to conclusions.
- Get yourself tested by a doctor after taking a homemade pregnancy test.
Top homemade pregnancy test myths
- A homemade pregnancy test can tell you the sex of your baby: No sex hormones come in your urine and so no homemade pregnancy test can tell you the sex of your baby.
- Homemade pregnancy tests are always positive: No, it is not the case with color changing homemade pregnancy test. The frothing in homemade pregnancy test might show a false pregnancy test. But they it settles for giving the correct pregnancy test result.
- DIY pregnancy tests are 100% accurate: No over the counter pregnancy test or a homemade pregnancy test is 100% correct. Only a doctor can give a 100% precise pregnancy test.
- Homemade pregnancy tests tell you about your pregnancy condition: No. Homemade pregnancy tests only tests your pregnancy and do not tell you anything about how well your pregnancy is progressing. This is the reason why you should visit a doctor.
- DIY homemade pregnancy tests are way cheaper than a home pregnancy test kit: No, they are not. They are cheap or free only in the sense that they don’t buy it in the name of a pregnancy test. However one has to get a pregnancy test done after taking a homemade pregnancy test. So that is like doubling the cost. There are cheap pregnancy tests available in the market, inexpensive as a homemade pregnancy test.
Are there any scientifically proven DIY pregnancy tests?
Scientifically proven homemade pregnancy tests include none. Are these DIY steps reliable for detecting pregnancy at any stage? No, you absolutely cannot rely on them. 3
Our last word, homemade pregnancy tests are an only good alternative to an urgent pregnancy test need out of curiosity. Otherwise, we won’t ever support your decision for relying entirely on a homemade pregnancy test and not even a pregnancy test kit. One has to visit a doctor for the good of you and your little one who may be there with you now or in future.