During pregnancy, everything about our body, just as we know it, goes through a lot of changes. Changes can be with regard to both physical and mental. As our body gets ready to be the host to a newborn baby, the hormones in our system fluctuate. This increase and decrease occurs in order to prepare our body for greeting a new being. One change or occurrence that women experience is the change in color of the discharge emitting out from the female’s reproductive part. The brownish color of the gooey vaginal discharge is usually normal and harmless, but in some cases, it might be a cause of worry.
Here is a detailed study compiled just for you:
What is brown discharge?
A vaginal discharge can be of different color and thickness, some may be white and thin, some may be brown or red. The brown colored discharge is the one that terrifies most women.
Brown discharge is the old blood mixed with cervical mucus. Brown mucus discharge during pregnancy is a normal occurrence. Brown discharge only means that the old blood is coming along with the cervical mucus. Brown mucus discharge is a common reproductive event.
What is brown discharge during pregnancy?
Brown discharge during pregnancy is old blood or fresh blood coming along with cervical discharge. Brown vaginal during pregnancy is also a sign of infections. Brown vaginal discharge during late pregnancy is a sign of labor.
How does brown discharge look?
Brown discharge looks like old blood. Just like blood gets darker when you get a cut, brown discharge gets a brown tinge. Brown discharge during pregnancy looks like clumps of blood and mucus.
When does the brown discharge occur?
It usually occurs during the early stages of pregnancy or during the first trimester so to say.
The discharge usually takes place also during the process when the embryo implants in the lining of the uterus.
This process is implantation, and red or brown discharge takes place during this period.
The brown discharge continues for 2-3 days and then stops on its own and is usually completely odorless and without any discomfort. If otherwise then brown discharge during pregnancy is not healthy.
Why does brown discharge occur?
It is actually the old blood that discharges along which makes vaginal mucus brown.
The blood in your uterus might not have been able to come out, and with time its color changed to brown.
It can also take place during the implantation process on the lining of the uterus.
An important question is whether brown colored discharge during the early weeks of pregnancy safe. One needs to know its significance for the pregnancy and baby.
Why does brown discharge occur during pregnancy?
Brown discharge occurs during pregnancy because of many reasons:
- Implantation bleeding
- Irritation of cervix
- Low lying placenta
Is the brown discharge normal during pregnancy?
A vaginal discharge is symbolic of a healthy and apt functioning of a female reproductive organ.
It is healthy if it occurs without any discomfort, the color may vary according to the changes taking place inside the body.
A brown vaginal discharge is completely normal during pregnancy. It occurs mostly in the first trimester of pregnancy or during the early weeks of conception. In some cases, the brown discharge is also an indication that labor is around the corner and that the delivery of the baby is imminent.
But if the brown discharge continues for more than few weeks accompanied by some discomfort, you should consult a doctor.
Some of the causes of the brown discharge during pregnancy:
- Implantation bleeding: Brown discharge might take place when a fertilized egg gets attached to the lining of the uterus.
- During pregnancy the hormonal level changes which make the area around vagina and cervix very itchy and irritable. During pregnancy, the area can become really sensitive.
- Cervical or vaginal infection can be a cause of brown discharge.
- Brown discharge might be an indication that labor and delivery are around the corner.
- Miscarriage is also a reason of brown discharge during pregnancy
Complications and reasons to worry about brown discharge during pregnancy
- Miscarriage: In very rare cases, a brown discharge may also mean that there is a miscarriage. If heavy brown discharge continues for few days, along with extreme discomfort and pain, consult a doctor.
- Ectopic pregnancy: It is a very serious condition and another one of the causes of a brown vaginal discharge. Usually, a fertilized egg gets attached to the lining of the uterus where its development starts. But in the case of ectopic pregnancy, the development of the embryo starts in the fallopian tube. This condition can cause a threat to the lives of both the baby and the mother. Stomach pain and cramps can be an indicator of such a situation.
- Infection and inflammation: Brown discharge can occur in the case of vaginal infection that can cause harm to the baby. Mommies may feel itchiness and irritated.
- Placental abruption: During this the placenta gets separated from the uterus prematurely, this causes the vaginal to bleed.
Brown discharge can cause a panic attack to some women who do not know about it. It is recommendable that one sees a doctor if brown discharge happens for more than 3 days.
Different types of brown discharge during pregnancy
- Light brown discharge during pregnancy: Light brown discharge during pregnancy is a sign of implantation. Light brown discharge during pregnancy is healthy. But even if it doesn’t occur there is nothing to worry about. Light brown discharge during pregnancy is not a sign of any infection. Light brown discharge is due to normal internal bleeding.
- Pinkish brown discharge during pregnancy: Fresh blood is pinkish red in some women. When this blood comes along with vaginal discharge it is a sign of bleeding. It could be because of implantation. Pinkish brown discharge during pregnancy may occur after a cervical examination. The cervix becomes very sensitive during pregnancy. Wearing very tight undergarments can cause reddish brown discharge during pregnancy.
- Dark brown discharge during pregnancy: Dark brown discharge during pregnancy is a sign of old blood coming off the vagina. This may be the menstrual blood that was inside. It could be the blood in the layer under placenta. Dark brown discharge during pregnancy is a symptom of infection. If you had unprotected sex and experience itching it could be a disease. Gonorrhea, genital warts and Herpes have a symptom of brown discharge.
Brown discharge during pregnancy
Brown discharge early pregnancyBrown discharge during early pregnancy is a common symptom. The intensity and amount of discharge vary depending on the course of pregnancy covered. While for some women it may be brown discharge spotting others may have a dark vaginal discharge. There is a misconception that brown discharge is sign on impending miscarriage. Brown vaginal discharge may come after miscarriage but is not a sign of it. Brown discharge in early pregnancy is because of Implantation Bleeding and sensitivity of cervix.
- Implantation bleeding occurs after 3 – 4 days from fertilization. It is the bleeding due to attachment of embryo in uterus. It generally has a localised mild pain as a symptom. This is the reason why vaginal discharge in early pregnancy may become brown.
- Cervical region, labia and vagina become very sensitive and dilate during pregnancy. Your doctor might check up these areas or you might wash them and it may bleed. In this case your discharge will become brown.
Brown discharge during pregnancy 8 weeks
Brown discharge becomes very common as spotting during pregnancy. During pregnancy undoubtedly you don’t menstruate. The old blood or blood from internal wear and tear comes off. This is the brown vaginal discharge during pregnancy 8 weeks. During pregnancy your vaginal discharge increases in amount. This is why brown gooey discharge is common during pregnancy. Brown discharge after 2 months pregnancy is nothing to worry about. There are reasons for brown discharge other than pregnancy too. Read more to find out the reasons for brown vaginal discharge.
Brown discharge during pregnancy 10 weeks
Brown discharge after two and half months after pregnancy may be because of sex. Brown discharge after sex during pregnancy is due to vaginal bleeding. Your vagina is extremely sensitive during pregnancy. If you see brown vaginal discharge after having sex during pregnancy you need not worry. However, if pain and itching accompany it then you may be having an infection. Yeast infection outbreaks are common during pregnancy. This is because of the extra moisture present in the cervical area.
Brown discharge during pregnancy first trimester
Reasons for brown discharge during first trimester:
- Brown discharge in the first trimester pregnancy is because of implantation.
- Brown discharge in pregnancy first trimester could be because of yeast infection
- Rough sex or blowing air in vagina can cause brown vaginal discharge during pregnancy.
Brown discharge during pregnancy second trimester
Brown discharge in second trimester pregnancy is because of heightened sensitivity of vagina. Cervical exam and other checkups are common. Also the amount of mucus plugging the vagina increases. If a woman doesn’t maintain her hygiene she can even get many infections are thus have bad odor brown vaginal discharge.
Reasons for brown discharge during pregnancy second trimester
- Cervical exam can cause bleeding and brown vaginal discharge during pregnancy
- Irritation of uterus lining due to baby’s vigorous movements
- Old blood remaining in uterus can come off vagina
- Blood accumulated under the placenta can come off as brown vaginal discharge during pregnancy
Brown discharge during pregnancy third trimester
Brown discharge during pregnancy third trimester has same reasons like first two trimesters.
During third trimester another development is the removal of mucus plug from the vagina. The mucus plug seals the vagina in the early months of pregnancy. When parturition is near the mucus plug falls off. The old blood might come along the vaginal discharge. It is the brown vaginal discharge during third trimester pregnancy.
If you see brown discharge near the due date of delivery you must inform the doctor. Even if it happens earlier it may be a sign of premature delivery. BD during pregnancy third trimester requires medical attention.
However, brown discharge in early third trimester of pregnancy doesn’t indicate any major change.
Brown discharge during late pregnancy
Brown discharge during late pregnancy confirms the onset of labor. As your mucus plug falls off the water breaks. Gradually hormones signaling parturition start releasing from brain. The muscles of uterus will start moving with violent spasms. Eventually you will have labor pains.
Doctors suggest pregnant women to be vigilant of brown discharge during the last days of pregnancy.
As the placenta and amniotic sac accumulate a lot of fluid it becomes very heavy. The blood vessels can crush under the pressure and thus lead to internal bleeding. This is dangerous for the baby and you. Brown vaginal discharge during late pregnancy is a symptom of many things. One should never ignore brown discharge during late pregnancy.
Brown discharge low placenta
If you have a low lying placenta the blood vessels might rupture and cause internal bleeding under pressure. A low lying placenta leaves very less sub chorionic space. Pregnant women with low lying placenta have to take extra precaution. As pregnancy progresses further more fluids accumulate there. All this causes frequent internal bleeding. This changes the cervical discharge to pinkish brown discharge during pregnancy. Later this becomes dark brown discharge during pregnancy. This is the reason why women with low lying placenta sleep with their legs raised with pillows.
In this case brown vaginal discharge during pregnancy needs immediate medical assistance. If your doctor diagnosed a low lying placenta then you must never ignore a brown discharge. A dark brown discharge with low placenta is a sign of excessive internal bleeding.
Brown discharge during pregnancy UTI
- Brown mucus discharge during pregnancy with pain and swelling indicate urinary tract infections. Yeast infections are common during pregnancy. Brown smelly discharge during pregnancy may be sign of infection.
- If you have had a history of sexually transmitted diseases then brown discharge during pregnancy can be due to relapse. Similarly if your partner recently had Herpes infection and you get brown discharge after sex, it hints infection.
- Brown gooey discharge is a sign of urinary tract infections. Brown smelly discharge during pregnancy is symptom of STDs.
When to see a doctor for brown discharge during pregnancy?
Although brown discharge is normal during pregnancy it may be a sign of disease. If you experience the listed symptoms along with brown vaginal discharge during pregnancy then see a doctor.
- Pain and burning sensation in vaginal area
- Heavy bleeding or brown discharge
- Brown discharge with pus during pregnancy
- Gooey brown discharge during pregnancy
- Foul smelling brown discharge
- Yellowish brown discharge during pregnancy
Whether pregnant or not you can’t forget the sight of a sanitary napkin after an entire day. Those of us who change sanitary napkins less often or who get heavy bleeding see a reddish brown pad. That looks like a brown discharge too but it is not. Brown discharge during pregnancy is distinct because it is not stringy brown discharge. Stringy brown discharge is characteristic of ovulation. Brown discharge during pregnancy is more dense and thick.
It is important to be a well-informed woman to avoid any mishaps out of ignorance. You can read more about brown discharge.