Table of Contents
A woman who has a regular period cycle knows about her ovulation date. She can easily see the changes in her cervical mucus and decide what stage she is at. How to track ovulation with irregular periods? A woman who doesn’t have a regular cycle cannot pinpoint when she ovulates. This is because her period occurs at any time of the month and may be more than once. She might have spotting and anovulatory cycles. This is when there is no ovulation during that particular menstrual cycle. This is not only challenging but also a diseased state. A woman needs to take proper treatment for such a condition. It is not normal to bleed erratically all the while during a month. Something is seriously wrong in her reproductive system. But if you have told your doctor about it and she has no way out for you then you need to detect ovulation.
A woman with irregular menstrual cycle can detect ovulation by few methods. She needs to be very cautious of every change that happens in her body throughout the month. This will help her identify when exactly ovulation takes place. There are methods for detecting ovulation.
What is ovulation?
Ovulation is the release of egg alternatively by each ovary every month. This is because your body has a repertoire of eggs that mature every month. After maturation the Graffian follicle or egg shell bursts and releases the egg. If pregnancy occurs then the egg implants in the uterus and period doesn’t occur. Otherwise it comes out as period along with the vaginal lining. Women who have irregular period may be because of fluctuations in hormones that cause ovulation.
Read more: When does ovulation occur?
How Do You Track Ovulation With Irregular Periods?
After ovulation, egg is viable (available for fertilization by sperm) for 24 hours. Sperms can live in vagina for 5 days. The fertile window of a woman is from three days before ovulation to one day after that.
Here is a list of ways to detect ovulation when you have irregular period:
- Basal body temperature charting: The most common method for detecting ovulation works for all women. There is a surge of Luteinizing hormone when ovulation occurs. It is the LH hormone. When the level of this hormone increases in the blood it causes a rise in basal body temperature. Rise in basal body temperature is by 1/2 – 1 ° at most. You can detect this change by a normal thermometer. Basal body temperature is the body temperature when you are at complete rest.
How to chart basal body temperature for detecting ovulation? Place a thermometer and a diary near you bed side and go to sleep. Get up normally and ditch the morning sex to first take a BBT test for detecting ovulation. Place the thermometer in your arm pit or under your tongue. Make sure you do not move even a bit or eat anything before recording temperature. Write this recorded temperature at a place which you won’t lose. Don’t make any changes in the sleeping pattern or AC temperature for the next month. Keep repeating the same step every day. One day you’ll see a degree rise and that is ovulation day.
- Cervical mucus changes: Cervical mucus changes during and after ovulation are prominent. During ovulation the cervical mucus is clear and stretchy. This is also termed as egg white cervical mucus. This is for ease of sperm’s movement through the vaginal pathway. It makes sex more pleasurable and effective near ovulation. During ovulation you are most fertile and so nature favors pregnancy. After ovulation gradually your cervical mucus reduces in quantity and becomes thick. Near your period cervical mucus is thick and gooey. Monitoring these cervical mucus changes can help identify ovulation date.
How to test cervical mucus for detecting ovulation when you have irregular period? Clean your fingers and dab them dry. Remove your panties. Sit on a place with a mirror underneath so that you see your vagina. Now slowly take your fingers inside and turn them around. When you feel that they are wet enough take them out gradually. Now slowly try to form a thread between your fingers. If you see clear watery mucus then you ovulated.
- Ovulation test kits: Just like pregnancy test kit their brother ovulation test kit can detect ovulation. Even when you have irregular period you can take multiple ovulation test kits and find your ovulation date. The ovulation test kits detect the LH hormone in your urine. You just need to get a sensitive and accurate ovulation test.
How to take ovulation test kit for detecting ovulation during irregular period? Collect your urine sample. Try getting concentrated urine sample. Open the ovulation test and do not touch the strip. Dip it in urine and wait for the time given in the manual. Remove the ovulation test kit and allow results to develop. Carefully read the instructions of use before taking an ovulation test kit.
- Changes in body: You can even detect ovulation if you are observant of your body. Near ovulation your skin tone becomes fair and you have shinier hair. Your nails might become whiter and hard. Other changes include feeling happier. Unlike PMS here you will have all good mood swings. You might even have ovulation spotting. This is rare but occurs in some cases. Other changes include a glow on face and the urge to have sex.
- Digital Ovulation calculator: Just like standard ovulation test kits there are digital ovulation calculator. You need to follow the instructions given on the pack. Digital ovulation calculator is more precise. The results are easy to read. A smiling face shows that you are fertile and ovulation occurred. An hourglass may appear while the test results are forming. You need to be patient and allow the test to work.
- Online ovulation tests: There are many online ovulation tests available that allow you to find ovulation date. They have a set of questions about your due date, regularity of cycle and sex habits. You need to go to the link and just fill in basic details. Online ovulation tests are easy and free of cost. You can take them while traveling and come to know of your fertile window period.
- Changes in sexual appetite: During ovulation it is natural too feel the urges to have sex more often. This is because nature doesn’t want the egg to away as period. It favors pregnancy and procreation. Sex is more pleasurable during ovulation. One can say that during ovulation sexual appetite increases. Some women might feel like making love all the while near ovulation. Similarly during period sexual desires might fluctuate again.
‘How to track ovulation when you have irregular period?’ is no longer a difficulty for doctors. Using ultrasound they can detect the stage your ovaries are at. If you are not able to detect ovulation at home then get a doctor’s appointment.