Every woman wants to get pregnant as soon as she decides to increase her family. Not being able to get pregnant can be worse of a nightmare. Why am I not getting pregnant is a question we get on a daily basis. But before you start worrying about infertility in women make sure you are doing the deed right. There are many resolvable reasons for not getting pregnant. Simply stressing about pregnancy can prevent it. It is important that you eat well and eat right. If you are not nourished then you may not get pregnant. Another point is that you may not be having sex at the right time for getting pregnant.
What are chances of getting pregnant?
A healthy 30 year old fertile female has 20% chances of getting pregnant every month. The chances of getting pregnant are not constant throughout the month. You are most likely to get pregnant when you have sex near ovulation. Ovulation is the time when your ovaries release egg. This happens on 14th day of menstrual cycle. The egg is viable for the next 24 hours. Now you may wonder how other women get pregnant all the time. It is because the menstrual cycle can fluctuate. Ovulation can occur a day early or late. It is best to have sex regularly from three days before to one day after ovulation. Sperms can live in vagina for 3-5 days.
Why am I not getting pregnant?
There are many reasons for not getting pregnant. Here are the most probable causes of not getting pregnant.
- Being on birth control: If you are taking birth control pills then your chances of getting pregnant reduce. Birth control pills do fail. But it’s like you yourself are reducing the probability becoming pregnant. You need to stop using any means of birth control when you decide to get pregnant.
- Not knowing the fertile window: Most women don’t know when they are fertile. There few signs of ovulation like change in cervical mucus. Your basal body temperature rises on the day of ovulation. Even if you have irregular menstrual cycle you can track ovulation. There are many ovulation kits that can tell you about your fertile window.
Read: When does ovulation occur?
- Fibroids and scars in uterus: If you had any previous surgery of the uterus you may have fibroids. Endometriosis is a condition when the tissues of uterus invade other organs. Bifurcated uterus also prevents pregnancy. This is a cause of infertility in women.
- Male partner’s infertility: It could be that you are perfectly fine but your partner has some problem. There are many reasons for infertility in men. There are treatable and have many options. If you want to have a baby your can opt for ART to artificially help you. IVF treatment, Intra cytoplasmic injection and artificial insemination can help overcome male infertility. There could be many reasons for male infertility like low sperm count or erectile dysfunction.
- Stress: There are many things that can affect your fertility. Stress and your environment are two mostly ignored ones. Any stress experienced by you or male partner can cause infertility. This is why you are not getting pregnant. Stress changes the hormone cycle in your body affecting your fertility.
- Smoking, alcohol and drugs: Smoking reduces the fertility in women and men. Smoking can reduce the sperm count to nil. Alcohol also causes problems in getting pregnant. The dose of alcohol is important when you decide to consume it. Drugs affect fertility and pregnancy. If you are not getting pregnant, you need to cut down these three.
Read more: Infertility in women, Causes of infertility in men
Some tips for getting pregnant
- Eat omega 3 fatty acid rich diet. They are responsible for forming the hormones required for getting pregnant. Food rich in omega 3 fatty acids are Mackerel, Salmon, Anchovies and Caviar. Baby takes up all omega 3 fatty acids from you. You need to have it in abundance during pregnancy as well.
- You don’t need to have sex everyday or multiple times a day. But during ovulation it is better to have sex often. When you have sex without will chances of getting pregnant may fall. You need to be positive and stress free.
- Cut down your caffeine. Caffeine is also a stimulant and diuretic drug. You have to limit smoking, alcohol and drugs when you are not getting pregnant.
- Exercise and stay fit. Any illness can prevent you from getting pregnant. It is important that you stay healthy.
- Maintenance of a constant body weight is crucial for getting pregnant. Women who undergo a lot of weight fluctuations have difficulty in getting pregnant.
- Get any diseases like PCOD or fibroids tested and treated. Do not miss any follow up appointments. Also get treatment for sexually transmitted infections. STDs can affect your chances of getting pregnant.
- Sleep well and on time. A regular sleeping pattern is essential for maintaining fertility.
- Don’t use sex toys and sperm jellies. They are reasons for not getting pregnant.
Not getting pregnant doesn’t make a woman any less of it. It is important to wait for the right time patiently. Having a healthy life and relationship are first steps that one needs to take before trying to become a mother. A baby needs both mother and father equally. No pregnancy can save marriages, they both are responsibilities at individual level.