Table of Contents
- What is precum and where is it produced?
- What does precum have?
- What does precum do?
- What does precum look like?
- When and where does precum appear?
- Does precum contain sperms?
- Can You Get Pregnant From Precum?
- Can you get pregnant from pulling out?
- Does precum also pass on sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Can You Get Pregnant Without Penetration?
- Can dry humping Cause Pregnancy from precum?
- What are the contraceptives to prevent pregnancy from precum?
So you had a steamy session with your boyfriend, and a question is raging in your mind. Can you get pregnant from precum? The answer to this question is simply YES!
Although precum doesn’t contain sperm compared to the seminal fluid, it can be the reason for pregnancy.
But what exactly is this mystical precum? Read along to find out.
What is precum and where is it produced?
Precum or pre-climax fluid is released from the male private part when sexually aroused. It is secreted by bulbourethral glands or Cowper’s glands. These are the two small glands positioned alongside the male urinary tract. These glands are present at the base of the private part.
What does precum have?
Precum is an alkaline mucus secretion. Precum has chemicals associated with a seminal fluid like acid phosphatase.
What does precum do?
The pre-climax fluid performs critical functions like:
- Precum helps to neutralize the acidic environment (due to the urine) of the urethra.
- It prepares the way through which the sperms travel and make their way out of the opening of the male organ.
- It protects the sperm and helps it sail smoothly towards its destination.
- Precum also in a way helps the sperms remain healthy as they make their way towards the egg.
What does precum look like?
- The fluid is usually colorless and transparent.
- It is sticky and has a mild odor.
- It exudes dropwise. The drops get bigger, but it doesn’t form a stream or a continuous flow normally.
- It is not as thick as normal male fluid.
When and where does precum appear?
Precum usually appears on the tip of the organ when a man is in the state of arousal and indicates that the climax is near. It paves the route for the male fluid and the sperms to travel. The thickness and concentration may vary from person to person.
The transparent liquid does not contain sperms in it. But it can absorb the sperms left over in the urethra from the previous male discharge.
Does precum contain sperms?
Research shows that nearly 41% of men tested for the presence of sperms in it gave positive results. It was due to the leftover sperms in the urethra that came along with precum in the next session.
This shows that if dick penetrates and precum releases then there is some bleak chance that sperms transfer. Even if the organ is withdrawn these sperms will be transferred.
Can You Get Pregnant From Precum?
The chances are very getting pregnant from this fluid. If the male penetrates the female and doesn’t climax, then there is a little to zero chance of getting pregnant with it.
Can you get pregnant from pulling out?
- The natural contraception of pulling out or withdrawal method is the least effective. The scientific term for it is coitus interruptus. It is moderately efficient as discharge and climaxes are the most satisfying and pleasurable states. It requires a high level of self-control to take out the organ at that time.
- Some people practice wearing condoms just when the climax is near. The withdrawal method will be inefficient in this case as precum exudes before the climax.
- Even if the person manages to pull out in time but climaxes around the vagina, there is a chance of getting pregnant. This is because some amount of sperm can make their way into the fallopian tube.
- There is less risk of getting pregnant if there is the presence of precum without full discharge.
The bottom line is that the chance of getting pregnant from precum is remote, but they do exist and cannot be ignored. Also, some men start exuding fluids as soon as they reach arousal. So withdrawal is a far-flung question for them because even humping will serve the unwanted purpose in rare cases.
Does precum also pass on sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
Another misinformation and myth regarding it is that it helps to avoid STDs, but this is not true. Sexually transmitted diseases spread from precum are:
- Gonorrhea: The pathogens of Gonorrhea reside in the urinary tract and hence are present close to Cowper glands and come along with precum. Gonorrhea transmits during oral sex if you ingest it.
- Chlamydia: Chlamydia is also known to transmit and cause throat Chlamydia from precum.
- HIV : It is often found that some samples of precum do have the presence of HIV. This can transmit HIV infection .
- Herpes, Trichomoniasis, Hepatitis Syphilis
- Other sexually transmitted diseases can also transmit from precum. Oral Herpes gets passed on during oral sex.
Hence it is very important to use a condom while having sex with random partners. Even when you know the partner there are chances that they have an undiagnosed STD.
Can You Get Pregnant Without Penetration?
Can you get pregnant without penetration is one question that we often get from our readers. Most teens have this niggling question.
The simple answer to this question is that No, you cannot get pregnant without penetration.
All one has to take care of is that the seminal fluid should not come in contact with the vaginal canal. Once sperm enters the vaginal canal, there is a possibility of the woman getting pregnant.
Can dry humping Cause Pregnancy from precum?
Many youngsters wonder, can dry humping cause pregnancy? Dry humping is rubbing private parts for sexual arousal and stimulation. Dry humping virtually isn’t dry at all. “Getting wet” when aroused is all about exuding precum fluids while foreplay activities like dry humping.
Studies have shown that precum can pass through thin clothing and sperms can come along.
So there are chances (thought almost nil) that you get pregnant from it when you are dry humping.
Precum fluid makes its way from the urethra and escapes out from the tip of the male part, unnoticeable. One cannot control or realize the flow of this fluid. Hence, safe sex is the key to avoid pregnancy.
What are the contraceptives to prevent pregnancy from precum?
The only contraceptive that is effective in preventing STDs effectively is a condom. Out of vaults, cervical caps, diaphragms; condoms are the most effective way of birth control from it.
Wearing two condoms in the sense that both of you wear a condom will increase friction. The chances of getting STD from precum will increase. Wearing two condoms by the male partner also makes them prone to breaking. It makes the sexual act uncomfortable.
Birth control pills are also effective against pregnancy.