Intercourse is one of the pleasures of life. But like everything else, it also brings with it, a few pain and problems. One such irritant is burning during intercourse.
Burning and itching during and after sex can be frustrating and painful. Any sores or rashes due to infections can cause itching.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists 1 states that 3 out of 4 women have pain during sex at some point.
The vigorous rubbing during sex can lead to burning. But that is usually for the first time.
Sex during pregnancy may cause burning as the cervix is most sensitive at that point.
There are 12 major causes of burning during and after intercourse. Burning after sex without any other symptoms may be because of rough sex or use of inappropriate female condoms. Domes, cervical vaults, and caps can cause burning. If you wear tampons when the vagina is still wet you may feel burning sensation while inserting.
Causes of burning during and after intercourse
Here we have compiled experts answers to why does your vagina burn during and after intercourse?
- Atrophic vaginitis: Genitourinary Syndrome is the thinning of the wall of the vagina. As women approach menopause the levels of estrogen fall. The hormone estrogen is essential for thickening of the lining. If the vagina lining is thin, it can easily bleed due to small touch. Atrophic vaginitis is the name of the disorder that happens due to hypoestrogen. Burning after intercourse is due to the inflammation of the walls of the vagina. Later on, as time passes the burning subsides. Women can take estrogen-progestin combination pills for supplementing estrogen. Topical estrogen crèmes can also cure burning during intercourse. Consult your doctor about it before doing so.
- Allergy: You can find a list of substances that can cause genital contact allergies on medicalnewstoday.com 2. Hypersensitivity can be when your immune system is weak. Either an infection or stage of the menstrual cycle can lower immunity. Low levels of hormones also increase sensitivity towards the pain lowering the threshold. You can easily solve this by using condoms. The prostaglandin and glycoproteins present in the male fluid can cause allergy and burning during sex.
- Oncological growth: Endometriosis or polyps can twist during sexual intercourse. They will pain, and the pain can be of any kind. Any cancer of the reproductive organs can be the cause of burning during coitus. Cysts and ovaries can twist during a traumatic blow while having sex. These benign or metastatic growths can cause problems in fertility. They will prevent pregnancy and normal physiology. If you have bleeding after sex and burning during intercourse, then tell your doctor about it. Any kind of pain or burning after sex is not normal.
- Genito Pelvic disorder: Vaginismus is the squeezing of muscles of the vagina when something is about to enter. Women who have Vaginismus are not able to have pain free sex. They also have a burning sensation during sex because the male private part chokes.
- Pubis lice: Every woman has pubic hair and just like your head it needs care. If you don’t use medicated soaps and maintain hygiene you can have lice or fungal infection. It will cause burning and itching after sex. Sex is not the cause here because lice will cause itching most of the time. If you have itching randomly and burning while having sex then shave your pubic hair. Use pH-neutral soap for intimate use.
- Infections: We have mentioned it last, but this is the most likely cause of burning during coitus. Infections whether bacterial or fungal can cause burning after sex. Chlamydia and genital herpes cause pus-filled rashes. They itch and burn during vigorous sex. Even if your partner has a yeast infection, it can affect you. Both of you need to get a checkup every six months. Sexual hygiene is often neglected but is crucial for fertility. STDs can make you infertile and become a syndrome. These infections can spread in females to become a Pelvic inflammatory disease. The entire lower region will have inflammation and itching in PID.
History of sexual abuse: According to Stacey Feintuch, causes of vagina burning during sex 3 include sexual abuse in past and surgery side effects.
Surgeries and Waxing: Many vaginal cosmetic surgeries are available now. Removal of the fleshy hood for enhancing pleasure and achieving clitoral climax or for beautifying the private parts these surgeries can have chronic side effects. Brazilian wax also causes puffy swelling in the vagina for 1-2 days after the removal of pubic hair. It’s best to avoid having sex after a day from getting bare down there.
- Menses and Vaginitis: Having sex in periods can leave you scratching and rubbing your burning private part. Vaginitis related burning after intercourse becomes worse during menses as per Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, 4.
- Vulvodynia: When the lips of the vagina have swelling they are like little balloons. Even pubes prick them and hurt. Inflammatory reaction on the vagina exteriors leads to opening up of the lips. Vulvodynia affects women in the age group 18-25 years, Women’sHealth5.
- Menopause: “Nearly 40% of women have vaginal discomfort while having sex after menopause”, Gloria Bachmann, MD, American Family Physician 6. Due to insufficient hormones, the uterus wall starts thinning out. When you have deep sex the penetration exerts pressure on these limp muscles. Capillaries get rubbed and leak and can even cause bleeding during sex.
- Uterus Prolapse: Dr. Ashley Hill, MD from the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Florida Hospital Family Practice 7 says passionate sex can cause pain and burning. A prolapsed uterus or cervix or bladder can also be the reason for uncontrolled itching and burning in coitus. Pelvic floor strengthening exercises can help cure this.
Burning During Intercourse Treatment
An expert reviewer on WebMD Traci C. Johnson, MD 8, has approved of sexual therapy as a treatment for painful sex. Counseling sessions help one get rid of inhibitions, guilt, flashbacks of past abuse, or fear of sexual intimacy. Exploring one’s sexual preferences is only possible after crossing this stage.
For burning due to atrophic vaginitis estrogen cremes and prescription from a doctor is recommendable.
Mayo Clinic staff advocates the FDA approved Osphena and Intrarosa for treating Dyspareunia 9 painful sex.
There are different types of burning and pain while having intercourse. When does burning in your vagina begin while sex? Is it when your partner touches vagina lips or thrusting? You can find detailed information on different kinds of pain in sex.
Burning upon thrusting in a particular position may be because naturally your vagina is not fit for it. Changing sex positions can be a lifestyle remedy for smooth pleasurable sex.
Menopause.org 10 has cautioned readers against ignoring burning in vaginal tissues during sex after menopause. Later untreated conditions can cause tearing of the vagina while sex.
For typical disorders like atrophic vaginitis and vulvodynia, you must get a doctor’s appointment.
Practice Safe Sex for Pleasure
It sounds contradictory to most people’s beliefs. Relationships sex too need protection against new infections. Your partner may have got a test but allergies can crop up anytime.
Always use a fresh dab when switching from behind to vaginal sex.
Painful sex because of burning sensation can be because of vaginal dryness. All thanks to the rose-scented foam wash you use that kicks out the proportion of bacteria.
Stop using soaps, douching, and perfumes near your vagina. They are not meant for it.
Last 2 month no periods and pregency negative .burning during and after sex so kindly suggest me
Burning during sex is a sign that you could be having infections. Two months no period negative pregnancy test is not uncommon. Some women continue to get negative pregnancy test for 3 months. Consult a gynecologist for burning during coitus.
Burning aftr sex n Frm 2mnts no positve results
Burning after sex is not sign or indicator of pregnancy. It is because of reasons such as insufficient cervical mucus, infections or atrophic vaginitis. Consult a doctor soon.
I’m 6 Months pregnant, every time my husband & I have sex it burns extremely bad after for at least 5 mins . Why? When I’m not pregnant & he comes it doesn’t bother me.
Sex during pregnancy is not safe if you’re having any unpleasant symptoms. You should inform your doctor about this.
Burning during sex doesn’t mean that you’re preggo. You need to get pelvic exam or pap smear test done. Infections or thinning of vag wall causes burning. Your partner has similar chances of infection or allergy to your fluids.
My partner and I die to stress and exhaustion only have sex weekly or every second week. I never experienced any burning previously but could it be because the sperm has been stagnant and not being let out frequently
Burning after sex is because of feast or famine pattern. Having sex once a week is not less, for such problems to occur.
I usually experience pain after sex it lasts for about 10 , am not pregnant, what might be the cause?
10 what? Minutes – not a problem, 10 hours maybe the way or position of sex, 10 days – ask your doctor.
Is it right to have sex with ladies during menstruation period?
Hi, You can get answers to your questions from experts here: https://trk.justanswer.com/SHPU
I find it alarming that if you experience a burning sensation after intercourse, it could be a sign that you have an infection on your genitalia. One of my friends told me that he’s having difficulty making love with his partner because of this. They should probably visit an OB doctor that can help her.
Please ask your query from our dedicated medical staff: https://trk.justanswer.com/aff_c?offer_id=2&aff_id=10494&url_id=256&file_id=2504