When you experience spotting a week before period, it can be very frightening. If you are a woman who is trying to get pregnant and keeping a close check on the changes in her cervical mucus, it can be the most exciting news for you.
It is important to have intercourse as close to ovulation as possible. Women experience ovulation symptoms as well as spotting before ovulation. Some women experience abdominal cramps, increased the amount of cervical mucus, and tender breasts. Spotting a week before periods is also the same spotting being pinpointed from the due date of periods.
What is spotting?
Spotting is pink to brown discharge expelled from the vagina close to ovulation. Sometimes it is so light that most females miss to notice it. It does not get heavier like periods. Spotting is a general term for any vaginal bleeding in between menses.
Spotting a week before period is similar to mid cycle spotting. Mid cycle spotting is because of many reasons.
Is spotting a week before period normal?
Spotting a week before period may go unnoticed by so many women. The menstrual cycle keeps fluctuating. Especially in the case of adolescent girls menstrual cycle takes a long time to adjust to a regular pace. Spotting a week before period is because your luteal phase length was shorter. Luteal phase is the time from ovulation day to the first day of your period. This is the time when the progesterone levels drop and cause sloughing off the uterine lining. If the luteal phase defect shortens the length of luteal phase you’ll see spotting a week before period. There is nothing to worry about if it is mild spotting. Spotting a week before period along with cramps and abdominal pain could be a sign of gynecological disorder.
Doctors have many options like FetileAid and hCG injections to increase the length of luteal phase. A healthy luteal phase is of 12 – 16 days. If the length of your luteal phas is less than 9 days then you need to see a doctor.
This is because ovaries need time to produce progesterone. It develops the uterine lining enough to sustain an oncoming pregnancy. If the luteal phase is too short there will be problems in getting pregnant.
What causes spotting a week before periods? Or what causes spotting after ovulation?
Spotting a week before period is normal but can point to some health issues. Here are
25 Possible causes of Spotting a week before period
- Ovulation Bleeding: The primary cause of spotting is ovulation bleeding. Ovulation is the process in which ovaries release an egg every month. Bleeding due to ovulation occurs a few days after ovulation. This happens because of the drop in the level of estrogen hormone. The hormone progesterone is yet to rise so a little endometrium sheds. This results in ovulation bleeding. Blood mixed with cervical mucus that appears like raw egg whites is ovulation bleeding.
- Changes in the level of hormones: A woman’s body is an orchestra of hormones. Changes in the levels of hormones before ovulation can also result in spotting. When ovulation occurs, follicles grow in size and produce even more estrogen. The increased amount of estrogen causes a flood in the luteinizing hormone (LH). LH surge gives the follicles the green signal to release the mature egg from it.
- Implantation bleeding: Is spotting a week before period a sign of pregnancy? Yes it could be a sign of pregnancy. Spotting can be due to implantation bleeding. When the egg fuses with the sperm it fertilizes. After fertilization the zygote goes on dividing rapidly. It forms an embryo.
This fertilized egg called the trophoblast burrows into the lining of the uterus called the endometrium. It is by the process of implantation. Spotting due to implantation bleeding occurs 10-14 days after conception. One-third of women experience this after conceiving. Implantation bleeding is spotting a week before period.
- Abnormalities in the cervix: Conditions like HPV or fibroids may also cause slight bleeding. Abnormalities in the cervix can also result in malignancies. Any surgical process carried out before can cause mid cycle spotting a week before period.
- Endometriosis and Endometrial polyps: Women with endometriosis also complain of mid-cycle spotting. Excess endometrial tissue under the influence of hormones may also cause breakthrough bleeding. Endometriosis is the spreading of uterus tissue to other areas. Endometrial polyps are small outgrowths in the uterus. They are like tumors and do not spread. Endometrial polyps
- Certain herbs also cause mid cycle bleeding: Certain herbs that doctors prescribe to correct hormonal imbalances have an effect on the reproductive system. Hormone stimulating herbs can cause spotting a week before period. However this occurs only in the first two cycles and not always. After that the hormone balance restores and prevents spotting before period.
- Rupture of the ovarian cyst: Bleeding can also be due to a ruptured ovarian cyst. You’ll experience slight bleeding with a sharp pain in both sides of the lower abdomen around ovulation time. The main reason behind it could be a ruptured ovarian cyst. Ruptured ovarian cyst can cause disruption in the ovulation cycle. It is not dangerous. It is your body’s way of dealing with some cysts.
- Birth control pills: When you switch to any birth control pills your body needs time to adjust to the hormone surge. Emergency contraceptives are worse as they cause break out bleeding any time. Heavy bleeding a week before period is possible if you take emergency contraceptive. Birth control pills have withdrawal symptoms of spotting a week before period.
- Stress: Stress can damage you more than any other disease. Stress and depression are the new generation’s flu. Everyone has underlying stress and tension. If this stress increases beyond the threshold it can cause any disease. Spotting a week before period can be because of the stress hormones due to work load.
- Chronic diseases: Chronic diseases of reproductive system like ovarian cancer can cause spotting a week before period. Other diseases such as Diabetes or PCOD can also cause mid cycle spotting. Women with PCOS always have random spotting before period.
- Delayed ovulation: If your ovulation occurred late during the menstrual cycle then you may experience Mittleschmerz. It is mild pain along with spotting. Spotting a week before due periods can be ovulation bleeding from delayed ovulation. Delayed ovulation could be because of similar reasons like illness or stress.
- Sex: In the last phase of menstrual cycle sexual intercourse can cause spotting a week before period. This is because the cervix becomes very tender at that time. The cervix is sensitive near ovulation. It is because it is preparing for pregnancy. Nature favors pregnancy. Having very rough sex can cause spotting a week before period.
- Thyroid dysfunction: Thyroid producing fewer hormones leads to condition called Hypothyroidism. This can lead to reduced hormones as the metabolic rate reduces. Spotting a week before period is sign that your thyroid is not working enough. You must consult a doctor if you experience loss of strength and gain of weight along.
- Use of progesterone cream: Applying a lot of progesterone cream can cause a positive feedback for excess estrogen. Estrogen surge can cause spotting a week before period. If you apply too much of progesterone cream then you may get spotting a week before period till periods. This can even change the date of period. Progesterone cream causes the estrogen receptors to activate and produce a lot estrogen. Low progesterone levels cause spotting a week before period.
- Implantation of IUD: When you get an intrauterine device it irritates the lining of uterus and it may cause bleeding. Spotting a week before period may be spotting because of IUD. IUD also alters the hormones and make uterus unsuitable for implantation.
- Illness: Any normal illness like cold, flu or fever can delay ovulation and can cause spotting a week before period. Illnesses drain your energy and you need time to recovers. Remember last time you had fever and you period delayed.
- Medications: Medications may lead to spotting a week before period. Certain prescriptions like anti inflammatory drugs can also cause spotting a week before period. One should refrain from unnecessary taking medicines and opt for natural cure as much as possible.
- Heavy exercise: Heavy exercise causes absence of menses. When you suddenly take up a workout routine you may experience spotting a week before period. Extreme jolt or split movements can cause mid cycle spotting.
- Certain fruits can cause spotting a week before period. Pineapple has Bromelain a proteolytic enzyme. Proteolytic enzyme can cause degradation of protein. Similarly Papaya has proteolytic enzymes Papain and glycl endopeptidase. These enzymes can hasten hormone fall and cause spotting a week before period.
- Ectopic pregnancy: After conception the fertilized egg implants in the lining of uterus. This is normal implantation. If the zygote implants itself in places other than uterus it is an ectopic pregnancy. Spotting a week before period is a sign of pregnancy if it implantation bleeding. It can also be a symptom of ectopic pregnancy if you have a lot cramps. Spotting a week before period with painful cramps is sign of an ectopic pregnancy.
- Uterine fibroids: Uterine fibroids and scars in uterus can cause spotting a week before period. Scars can be due to any surgical procedure carried out.
- Poor diet: A lack of proper nourishment will not allow your body to be able to produce enough hormones. Poor diet is a rare cause of spotting a week before period. But countries with females suffering malnourishment or taking drugs and intoxicants face it.
- Luteal Phase defect: Luteal phase defect as explained can cause early spotting before period. Spotting a week before period is because of shortening of luteal phase.
- Anovulation: If you do not ovulate for some reason it is condition of anovulation. This is because LH surge doesn’t occur. The corpus luteum doesn’t form and progesterone levels do not rise. Estrogen dominant effects include spotting a week before period.
- Urinary tract infections or Pelvic Inflammatory Disease PID: Urinary tract infections can cause bleeding. Spotting a week before period could be because of pelvic inflammatory disease.
What does spotting after ovulation mean?
Spotting after ovulation or a week before periods can be indicative of implantation. If spotting is due to implantation, it will be painless and scanty. It will last for just 3-4 days and will start on the 6th day of conception.
The release of the ovum from the follicle occurs mid-cycle. After ovulation, ovum travels down into the uterine tube, from there it makes its way to the womb. It is ready for fertilization. If fertilization occurs within twenty-four hours after ovulation, then the zygote formed starts the process of implantation.
What is implantation spotting? Or how does spotting happen?
- The process of implantation involves three steps adhesion, fixation and invasion.
- When the embryo burrows into the trophoblast layer of the uterus, many blood vessels and capillaries break.
- This is responsible for spotting, that you notice, a week before period or after ovulation.
If you have intercourse every day, your chances of conception are great. You can also maintain a basal body temperature chart. It keeps a record of your daily basal body temperature. You will be able to notice the changes during the time of ovulation.
What to do after you experience spotting after ovulation?
If you experience ovulation spotting, then it is a great idea to have intercourse. It is great only if you want to get pregnant. Unprotected sex is advisable when spotting after ovulation. It is within this time frame that chances of conception occurring are high. Even after ovulation, keep having intercourse because you might be very close to ovulation. You can also depend on a basal body temperature chart.
When to call doctor for spotting a week before period?
You can resolve spotting a week before period by charting basal body temperature and keeping a tract of events. If you have cramps and other pain with spotting a week before period then call your doctor.
There are different kinds of spotting you experience at different stages of life. They include implantation spotting, period’s spotting and spotting when you lose your virginity. Each of them is similar to the naked eye. The accompanying symptoms distinguish them. Spotting a week before period has different symptoms than bleeding after sex.