You are a week closer to holding your little one in your own hands. This time of pregnancy is considered to be the easiest time to go through. It might not be true for you, however as you have made it through till here you can go along further too. We will look at what exciting things the little one is up to this week.
How Much Are 15 Weeks Pregnant In Months?
Wondering 15 weeks pregnant is how many months? You’re in the month 4 of your pregnancy! That is exactly 3 months 3 weeks.
15 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms
The second trimester is marked with having high energy and respectively high libido though this may not apply to a significant number of expecting women. The symptoms for the week are described below.
1) Low Libido
The sex drive may increase in the second trimester and it is perfectly safe to indulge in sexual activities unless advised against it. However, it would be totally fine if you are not up to it while dealing with all the other symptoms.
2) Swollen Gums
The effect of hormones can also be seen on dental health. Swelling of gums is quite normal. The gums become extra sensitive. If not taken care of, this may lead to a condition called Gingivitis.
The increased sensitivity of nasal passages with all the extra blood flowing through every part of body may cause you to deal with occasional nosebleeds. Also, there is swelling of blood vessels and increased mucus production causing pregnancy rhinitis, commonly known as stuffy nose.
4) Shortness of Breath
As uterus increases in size, pressure on lungs increases. When you breathe, lungs are unable to expand as easily and hence it may lead to shortness of breath.
5) Heartburn & Flatulence
Oh these hormones are to be blamed for everything! Symptoms like heartburn and gas may remain with you for the larger part of pregnancy.
6) Varicose Veins
The bluish streaks across your body are nothing but veins swelled in size due to increase in blood volume called varicose veins.
7) Round Ligament Pain
The stretching of ligaments attached to uterus with increasing uterine size may cause some pain, known as round ligament pain.
Decrease in blood sugar level or getting up suddenly after lying/sitting down for a while may cause some dizziness.
Are you struggling with remembering stuff that you never forgot before? Blame it on decreased brain cell volume owing to pregnancy. This symptom is known by the term ‘pregnancy brain‘.
Stress? Anxiety? Symptoms too much to deal with? Yes, dealing with everything may give you occasional headaches. Though if the headache is severe and is accompanied with blurry vision, high blood pressure, etc. then you should contact your doctor as soon as possible. These may the signs of a condition called pre-eclampsia.
Relieving the Symptoms
• Dental care is of utmost importance. Brush your teeth often preferably with a soft bristle toothbrush. Go for regular dental check-ups.
• Using a humidifier to have relief from nasal congestion is one of the better methods. The doctor should be consulted before taking any over-the-counter medicine.
• Avoid doing any physically strenuous work. Perform deep-breathing exercises which will help in breathing more easily.
• Try to include more fibers in diet that will help you with gas and indigestion. Avoid consuming foods that may increase the probability of having heartburn like spicy food, acidic food or fired food.
• Though varicose veins cannot be prevented, you can try to decrease the severity of the symptom. Do not stand or sit for too long. Take short breaks in between and walk around. Also keep your feet elevated while sitting whenever possible.
Eat small meals regularly. Always keep hydrated. Keep healthy snacks handy. Whenever you feel dizzy, sit down or lie down if possible until the dizziness goes away. Try not to get up in a rush after sitting/lying down for a while.
Changes in Mother’s Body
- The uterus is now growing out of the pelvic cavity. The rate of growth is different for everyone and is also different for each pregnancy for the same woman. Also, if this is not your first pregnancy, then you MAY show earlier as compared to your first pregnancy.
- The top of the uterus now lies around 4 inches below the belly button.
- Your body’s center of gravity is changing with respect to uterine growth. You may become clumsier by each passing week than before.
The suggested weight gain range by week 15 of pregnancy based on BMI is given in the below table.
Weight gain by Week 15
3.1 to 7.0
1.4 to 3.2
2.9 to 6.7
1.3 to 3.0
2.1 to 5.9
1.0 to 2.7
1.8 to 5.6
0.8 to 2.5
If the weight is deviating too much from the normal weight gain range, you should first consult your doctor before taking any measures.
Ultrasound in Week 15 of Pregnancy
- There will be no ultrasound appointment this week unless there are some complications and your doctor has scheduled one.
- Also, if you had opted for amniocentesis to be performed in this week then ultrasound scanning would be required.
- Amniocentesis is a diagnostic test for neural tube defects and chromosomal abnormalities.
- Alternatively, you can also opt for Multiple Marker Screening (or triple or quad screening). This test involves removing blood sample. The levels of AFP, hCG, Estriol (and Inhibin-A in a quad screen) are measured.
- Multiple Marker Screening or MMS is done to screen for risk of neural tube defects and some chromosomal abnormalities.
- MMS is a screening test; so if the results show that there is some risk to the fetus then you may/may not opt for more confirmatory amniocentesis. Ultrasound scan is also performed and results of the scan and MMS are combined to give a final result.
- Sex of the baby may/ may not be determined accurately so it would be better to wait for a few more weeks.
Warning Signs in Week 15 of Pregnancy
Even though the risk of miscarriage has gone down significantly, if you experience or observe any of the below signs then contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- Severe headache, blurry vision, nausea and dizziness are signs of high blood pressure and can also indicate early pre-eclampsia.
- Pain and burning sensation while urinating are signs of an underlying infection.
- Severe nausea and vomiting may lead to dehydration which poses a risk to overall health.
- Thin and clear vaginal discharge might indicate leaking amniotic fluid.
- Abdominal cramping or lower back pain with or without vaginal bleeding.
- Colored and/or foul smelling vaginal discharge is an indication of genital tract infection.
Tips for 15 Weeks Pregnant
- Maintain an exercise routine. This will help you to deal with the physical stress of pregnancy, and also in maintaining health after pregnancy. You can choose any form of exercise like yoga, pelvic floor exercises, etc.
- Avoid any strenuous exercise routines like the one associated with contact sports, etc.
- Now that the bump is showing, you have to take extra care while driving. Always wear the seat belt. The seat belt should go around your lap rather than abdomen. The upper part of the belt should go around the top of stomach or between the breasts.
- You should try sleeping on your side (the left one preferably) which is considered to be a healthy sleeping position. This would allow easy blood flow and you may get a restful sleep for a while.
- Sleeping on stomach is to be strictly avoided as it will put undue pressure on the uterus. Sleeping on back puts pressure on lower body veins via the uterus.
- To help you sleep on side, you can extra pillows to give support to your body or you may also invest in a pregnancy pillow.
- You should see to it that all necessary vitamins are included in your daily intake in proper amounts. If not, then take prescribed supplements.
Tips for the Partner
- If you see that your partner is having trouble sleeping then try to help out in some way.
- You may offer to her a massage before going to bed.
- You may also/alternatively offer to adjust her pillows for her before sleeping.
- These small acts are greatly appreciated even if not verbally expressed.
The time is passing by too quickly! There is so much left to do before the baby comes might be the thought constantly in your mind. Well, you will always find that time is too short to do anything. However, if it makes you feel better then make a list of everything that you would like to do and discuss it with your partner or any other person that you trust. Also, indulge in activities that will help you take your mind of the stressful thoughts. At the end, try to enjoy this phase of pregnancy.