Pregnancy is the best juxtaposition of the best and worst time in the world. Pregnancy gets you the biggest happiness of your life and a little one who makes you and your partner eternal. Problems associated with pregnancy are leg cramps, bloating during pregnancy, thyroid, gestational diabetes etc.
We have written this for discussing a confusing trouble which is bloating during pregnancy. During pregnancy, your baby bump grows in size. And women believe that any change in the size of belly is due to the baby. Even the pain during pregnancy is solely believed to be due to the increase in gestational size. However, there are other problems which are the actual reasons for the abdominal cramps.
Table of Contents
What is bloating during pregnancy?
Bloating during pregnancy is the swelling in the abdominal region due to flatulence and fluid synthesis.
When does bloating during pregnancy need medical attention?
Bloating needs medical checkup if:
- Bloating pain remains for more than 30 minutes
- Constipation persists for more than a week
What are the causes of bloating during pregnancy?
There are not many causes of bloating during pregnancy. They are mostly associated with the digestive system. Reasons for bloating are:
- Higher progesterone levels: Higher progesterone levels during pregnancy are essential for maintaining the pregnancy. The progesterone, however, relaxes the smooth muscle tissue of the gastrointestinal tract. This inhibits the digestion causing associated problems such as water retention, bloating, constipation and flatulence This causes bloating during pregnancy.
- Constipation during pregnancy: Bloating is caused by constipation majorly. As your gut is not clean the waste matter generates a lot of flatulence and borborygmus. This is the reason for bloating during pregnancy.
- Dehydration: A woman who doesn’t drink enough water during pregnancy might have hidden dehydration. This, in turn, prevents efficient digestion. This causes bloating.
- Increase in size of uterus compresses the stomach: Increased size of uterus leaves very less space for the stomach and that causes abdominal discomfort and bloating.
- Flatulence: The most common cause of bloating is flatulence and pregnancy have this cause even more aggravated.
What are the consequences of bloating during pregnancy?
- Painful abdominal cramps
- Water retention causes discomfort and heaviness
- Frequent urge to go to the bathroom
- Stretch marks after pregnancy
Home remedies for bloating during pregnancy
Now we will discuss the natural home remedies for bloating during pregnancy:
- Drink a lot of water: Water is essential for the movement of food and a maintaining a healthy circulation in the body. Drinking water will help prevent bloating targeting all causes of bloating. One should drink at least one full glass of water every hour when she is expecting.
- Avoid oily foods and junk food: Oily foods obstruct proper digestion and aerated drinks themselves induce flatulence and bloating. During pregnancy, you deal with constipation due to increased uterine size. Bowel movements do not occur efficiently. Hence it is advisable that you stop eating any junk and fried food for preventing bloating during pregnancy.
- Eat foods loaded with fibers: Bloating during pregnancy is even more painful due to doubling of pressure in the abdominal cavity. Eating foods rich in fibers will help to make the food move through the gut faster and easily. Also, fibers will make you feel fuller and take longer to breakdown. This will additionally prevent you from non-essential junk snacking.
- Stop smoking and minimize the intake of caffeine: Smoking and caffeine is anyways a doomed thing during pregnancy. They have many side effects for the baby and you. One of them is bloating due to the toxins that need more fluids to break down. All this gets accumulated in the abdominal cavity and hence causes bloating during pregnancy. One must stop smoking as soon as she decides to become a mother. Caffeine is also addictive. A pregnant women needs to minimize caffeine intake.
- Eat natural laxatives to treat pregnancy bloating: Natural laxatives are better than suppositories or medicines for treating constipation. They won’t ever lead to an allergic response. They are safe even in larger quantities. This is why it is best to have natural laxatives like mint leaves or sugarcane syrup during pregnancy to cure pregnancy bloating.
- Use a pillow while sleeping to prop up your baby bump: When we sleep we rarely are able to control our body postures especially those who have had a lifetime of bean bag sleeps. This might cause one to sleep over her baby bump and that will certainly lead to swelling and bloating during pregnancy. Also sleeping with baby bump sagging down will cause the fluids to move. This aggravates the pre-existing pregnancy bloating.
- Eat at regular intervals: We tend to get these phases of extreme hunger outbreak and hunger strike during pregnancy. However, it is ideal to control a bit and force feed a bit in respective cases. Eating at regular intervals helps to avoid stuffing up and hence allows gradual digestion. This prevents bloating during pregnancy.
- Don’t let stress or anxiety take over you: Stress and anxiety are natural during pregnancy. But the level of stress and anxiety is controllable. Women tend to over think about things during pregnancy. All this disturbs the homeostasis of the body and causes several other problems such as bloating during pregnancy.
- Massage your baby bump to heal bloating during pregnancy: Massaging is more than welcomed during pregnancy. A gentle oil massage on your baby bump can help to alleviate bloating and even will be effective for reducing stretch marks after pregnancy.
- Wear loose clothes to prevent bloating during pregnancy: Wearing loose clothes prevents any compression of the baby bump. Thus it ensures a well-regulated blood circulation. Body fit tight clothing can have unfavorable effects. One shouldn’t wear them even during the early stages of pregnancy.
- Eat foods that taste bitter as a home remedy for bloating during pregnancy: Eating foods like bitter gourd or kale which are rich in anti – oxidants is very beneficial for bloating during pregnancy. They degrade the harmful toxins forming in your body or as wastes from your baby. This keeps your system healthy and thus treats bloating during pregnancy.
- Always support your baby bump with your hands in later stages of pregnancy: Women might like to keep a hand on their baby bump but it even serves a purpose. When you support your baby bump while sitting and getting up, it actually prevents the chaotic movement of fluids in the balloon. When one maintains stable posture, there is no need for reversal of the changes every time when you move. Hence bloating doesn’t arise even in later stages of pregnancy.
- Eat food that treats bloating during pregnancy such as: Fenugreek, Sugarcane, Peppermint, Coriander, and Basil treat bloating. These foods are home remedies for bloating during pregnancy. They enhance digestion and even cure bloating due to other causes. The natural compounds present in these foods prevent flatulence and relieve bloating cramps.
- Avoid foods that cause bloating during pregnancy: These bloating causing foods have a lot of bicarbonate and other such chemicals that aggravate bloating. It is best to avoid these foods. Cook them at a high temperature if consumption is inevitable.
- Exercise and go for walks to prevent causes of bloating during pregnancy: Women restrict exercise and movement during pregnancy. Nonetheless, they are essential for your baby’s health and for you too. Exercise and stretching keep the muscles agile and thus helps to heal and prevent bloating during pregnancy.