Pregnancy has many pains that are not so normal as they appear to be. Ovary pain during pregnancy may seem a likely thing but it is not normal. Mild cramping during pregnancy may be due to many reasons.
If you have pain in the pelvic area during pregnancy then you must report to your doctor immediately. There is no reason for feeling normal pain near ovaries while pregnant.
Ovaries in fact stop a major function during pregnancy. The ovaries alternatively release an egg each month. This is the process of ovulation. After getting pregnant this process stops as the fertilized egg is developing. If you have nausea, bleeding, vomiting and dizziness with ovary pain during pregnancy, then talk to your gynecologist about it.
In most cases the only treatment for ovary pain during pregnancy is a surgery. Pain in ovaries left or right during pregnancy is a sign that something is wrong. It is difficult to find out whether you are having pain in ovaries or other parts.
Pain near vagina, ovaries and pelvic region occurs in close proximity. The body is making space for the baby. This pushes the other organs out of their normal places.
Table of Contents
What causes ovary pain during pregnancy?
- Ectopic pregnancy: Ectopic pregnancy is when the egg implants at other places other than uterus. It is an extra uterine pregnancy. The egg may implant in the tubes itself due to blockages. This will cause ovary pain during pregnancy. Ovary pain is not necessarily due to ovaries. The organs are so close to each other that it is hard to find the reason of pain. Ectopic pregnancy is not viable. Such pregnancies can cause severe complications. You need to inform your doctor immediately if you have severe cramps near ovaries. This will be easily distinguished in the early pregnancy stage. Ectopic pregnancy doesn’t survive for long and if it does then it only poses risk to your health.
- Gall bladder problems: Gall bladder is responsible for fat digestion. It is in close proximity of the ovaries. Any infection or stones in Gall bladder cause severe pain. You might mistake this for ovary pain during pregnancy. It is thus important that you tell your doctor about it. Gall bladder removal is not harmful and is surgical. Doctors will give you anesthesia for carrying out the surgery. This is a complication during pregnancy for Gall bladder removal. Anesthesia during pregnancy is dangerous as it can cause your baby and you to die. Recovering from anesthesia during pregnancy is difficult.
- Appendicitis: Appendix is a vestigial organ. During the course of evolution the organ is no longer of use. Appendix is present at the end of long intestine. During pregnancy they may shift to pelvic area and cause pain near ovaries. Again a surgical procedure can treat Appendicitis. But it requires a mild anesthesia. Appendicitis needs treatment before it spreads to your baby. It can cause infections in your baby if not treated. Doctors do carry out surgery for removal of appendix during pregnancy.
- Ovulation: Strangely some women continue to ovulate even after being pregnant. This means that they keep releasing eggs during pregnancy. This can cause mild pain in ovaries. You need to tell your doctor about this as it can lead to double pregnancy. Taking birth control during pregnancy is not safe as it can affect pregnancy. Your doctor will advise you to use condom for sex during pregnancy. This will prevent any complications. Also avoid taking over the counter pain killers for ovary pain during pregnancy. Some analgesics are not safe during pregnancy.
- Urinary tract Infection: Though ovaries are not functioning but they are prone to infections. Urinary tract infections during pregnancy can spread to your ovaries. This will cause pain in ovaries during pregnancy. Infections of ovaries during pregnancy need a course of antibiotics. Your doctor will prescribe antibiotics to you and ask you to take bed rest. You might have to go for few appointments to check whether the infection went. Follow up appointments and completing the course of antibiotics is essential for curing ovaries infection during pregnancy.
- Miscarriage: During miscarriage you may feel a pain in the ovarian region during pregnancy. Miscarriage occurs mostly in the first three weeks and in case of 25% pregnancies. During miscarriage you will have nausea and extreme pain in the uterus. Some women might even mistake this for regular menstrual cramping. A miscarriage lasts for 10 days. Normally a period doesn’t continue for that long. Ovary pain during pregnancy can be because of chemical pregnancy. A chemical pregnancy is also a miscarriage. It is important to tell your doctor about ovary pain during miscarriage because you may need dilation. This helps for removal of all parts of pregnancy.
- Fibroids: Uterine Fibroids cause intense pain in the ovary region. Pelvic pain during pregnancy is because of fibroids. They can even create blockages and cause problems in implantation. It is important that you get a check up before getting pregnant to find whether your uterus is healthy for it. Fibroids can be because of any previous injuries or any diseases. Endometriosis is also a reason for ovary pain during pregnancy. It is the invasion of other organs by growing of uterine tissues.
- Accommodation pain: During 8 – 12 weeks of pregnancy the organs in the pelvic region make space for growing baby. Ovary pain during pregnancy second trimester is mainly because of such growth spurts during pregnancy. Accommodation pain is normal and needs no worrying. It is obvious that for fitting in a baby inside some cramping will occur. But if you have a Molar pregnancy that is a mass of tissue then you will have abnormally severe pain. During Molar pregnancy the tissue that was to become a baby grows as a lump of tissue. This can cause ovary pain during pregnancy. You need to immediately talk to your oby-gy for this condition.
- Cysts twist or torsion: Cysts in ovaries due to PCOD or any other disease cause immense pain. Sometimes the cysts can twist and cause immense pain. There is no way to stop the pain of cyst torsion apart from surgical removal. In most cases doctors perform surgeries. Giving pain subsiding drugs is not safe during pregnancy as they suppress the nervous system.
- Kidney stones: In some cases the pain from kidney stones can spread to ovarian region. You will have other problems like burning during urination. Bleeding while excretion is a sign that you have kidney stones. Drinking lot of water can dissolve these salt crystals in some cases. You will need to consult your gynecologist for considering the right steps to treat it.
- Ovarian torsion: Ovaries are like small balloons. The tubes become narrow near the terminal end. This can twist and cause ovarian torsion. The blood supply to ovaries cuts of in this case. The pain in ovaries during pregnancy is unbearable. Ovarian torsion requires surgery. The cut may not be a very big incision but you’ll have to take anesthetics.
- Constipation: Constipation is the worse of troubles during pregnancy. You feel like cutting off your lower part of the body. The vagina is wet, suffocated anus and ovaries pain during pregnancy. It’s terrible and difficult to manage. You already have a long list of things to embrace during pregnancy to add ovary pain. Constipation can make you feel that your abdomen is extremely hard. It is important that you drink lot of fluids and keep moving a bit. Eating junk and sleeping the entire day can cause more harm.
- Luteal cysts: Luteal cyst or corpus luteum is the cover of the egg. The egg shell stays in your tubes and secretes progesterone after ovulation. If this cyst doesn’t eventually degenerate then you are prone to ovary pain during pregnancy.
- Round ligament pain: Ovary pain during pregnancy second trimester is because of round ligament pain. During later pregnancy you may feel that a muscle ligament from uterus to groin is stretching. This may pain when you get up after sitting or sleeping for long. If you don’t rehydrate your body enough you’ll have severe round ligament pain. It is important that you tell your doctor about it so that he can check if you are at risk of preterm labor.
- Intercourse or running: If you do any vigorous activity like sex or running during pregnancy you may have ovary torsion. This can cause ovary pain during pregnancy. It is important to have safe sex during pregnancy. Safe sex is not only by using condoms but also postures and other aspects. You can have an intense ovary pain while pregnant if you have rough sex or go for running.
- Uterine abruption: In some cases scar from previous C section can tear off and cause uterine tearing. In that case you will feel a pain all inside your abdomen. It will be impossible to say whether the pain is due to ovaries or uterus. Uterine abruption in almost 99% cases cannot stop. You need to immediately tell your doctor about it. Heavy bleeding may accompany along with uterine abruption.
- Preclampsia: Deficiency of oxygen supply and elevated blood pressure is Preclampsia. During Preclampsia if dehydrated then you may experience ovary pain during pregnancy. It is important to drink lots of water to prevent such a situation. Preclampsia generally occurs in the late pregnancy. Toxemia is another term for Preclampsia.
- Premature labor: If you are at risk of Preterm labor then ovary pain during pregnancy is a sign of it. Your doctor might perform an ultrasound to see what it going on inside your body. This is to confirm whether you are at risk of premature delivery. The contractions of the uterus will cause ovary pain. The pain radiates to all directions during labor.
- Placental abruption: In some rare cases placenta can come off the uterus and cause immense pain. You’ll not be able to identify where exactly the pain occurs. Pain in pelvic area during pregnancy is due to placental abruption. The placenta tears off from the uterus and hangs down. This can jeopardize the lives of you and your baby.
- Braxton Hicks: After around 20 weeks of pregnancy your body starts practice labor. This is not true labor and there are no possibilities for it to be. Braxton Hicks are like mock drill for your body to prepare for labor. The pain radiates in all directions.
Left or right ovary pain during pregnancy
Whether the pain is in the left or right ovary it is not normal. During pregnancy ovaries are not functioning much, to expect them to be painful. Left or right ovary pain is a sign that they may be ovulating. In that case you need to take extreme precautions. You might keep getting period even when pregnant in this condition. This is why ovary pain cannot go untreated. You need to talk to your doctor in the first possible time. Pain in ovaries is a symptom of Ectopic pregnancy. It could be a sign of an impending miscarriage or chemical pregnancy.
Ovary pain during pregnancy second trimester
Ovary pain during second trimester is mainly because of the changes in locations of organs. As the baby grows and baby sack expands other organs crush. If you have multiple pregnancies then there is a higher chance that you may have ovary pain during pregnancy.
Ovary pain during pregnancy second trimester might not be anticipated. This is because most women feel that after first trimester most problems sort and now it’s only carrying a big baby bump.
The chance of miscarriage does lower down but other things come in play. You have a lot of things happening together during pregnancy. While you are adjusting to ovary pain during pregnancy you may another thing as low blood pressure during pregnancy.
The next nine months you have to be a soldier and protect your baby. You are indeed God’s beautiful creation!